Dust is starting to get under my screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by throne, Dec 27, 2010.

1. throne macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS that's out of warranty and recently within the past month, dust has been starting to get under the glass. It's not affecting the performance of the phone but it's getting extremely annoying and I'm thinking of bringing it in to get it replaced. I know we're all end-users here but what do you think my chances are of Apple replacing the phone for free?

2. celticpride678

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Does iPhone 4 suffer from such a problem? I read that the glass and the screen are glued together.

4. celticpride678

It's mostly the older devices, but there are still some reports.

5. prestomusic macrumors regular

yep, that'll be dust in between the digitizer/glass and the LCD. I had this problem after I replaced a broken glass screen myself, as the integrity of the seal is badly compromised after replacing the screen.

I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself, it was the worst couple of hours of my life!!

Maybe a pro could do it better and keep the seal more intact. But would have to question the value in this, save you $$ for a new phone maybe? In Aus, the going rate for a replacement screen including parts (digitizer/glass) and labour is over $200.