Dust Keeps Sneaking Inside My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iHarrison, Feb 17, 2009.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

Anyone else having an issue with their iPhones where dust particles and such find a way of getting through the casing and underneath the screen? I was cleaning my screen the other day and found that dust was actually underneath the screen and i wasn't able to get at it. :confused:

Does the casing of the iPhone have a tendency to occasionally let dust in? Or...is this something that shouldn't happen too often?

Input or experience would be great!,

iHarrison

2. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Its a common problem, supposedly Apple will replace phones with dust under the screen, mine was but it had other issues as well. Then my brand new phone had to be replaced, it sucks.

3. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Yea I had this issue with my first iPhone which had other battery issues. I took my old iPhone in and asked the apple genius not only about the battery, but also the dust. He did make it sound like he would've replaced the phone even if the only concern i had was the dust. Makes me just want to take the iPhone i have now back into the apple store and get a brand new one. I have quite a bit of dust under the screen in one corner...bugs me...:mad:

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I wouldn't even think twice about it. Get to Apple. They won't hesitate to replace it for you.

5. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Yea that's the one thing that I've valued most about my switch to apple products is the customer service and care. They are very flexible about helping you out and keeping you truly happy with your products.

This is great because i believe if for the first time in my life i spend $300 on a phone i deserve to have one that doesn't allow dust in under the screen...

Little disappointed that the iPhone lets dust in like that, but i'm sure it is not the only phone to do this.

Heading to apple.com right now to schedule an appointment this weekend and get my phone replaced when I am off school for the weekend! :D

6. Cask Guest

Lucky you guys in the US with Apple Stores. Here in Mexico we have to take the iPhone to the carrier, and they won't exchange the iPhone at all unless it is not working. So I am left with my dusty screen and nothing to do about it.

7. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

Gotta imagine that you get frustrated with that kind of service. I spose it's just like every other phone company's insurance policies though if you think about it. I remember my phone before I was blessed with the iPhone...it was sooo beat up, buttons were sticky, etc. Eventually the phone crapped out and sport where you hear your conversation stopped working. I was forced to use speaker phone all the time or the headset i had. I took it in to see if i could work out a way to get a new working phone and they told me i had to spend a whole 250 bucks to get a new version of the same model or spend 150 on repairs. I'm glad I spent $300 on my iPhone and now have service that lets me replace my phone even when my silly pet peeves get in the way. :D

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm not one of those nitpicky perfectionist replacers, but having Apple replace my phone twice in one week is pretty nice.

9. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

unfortunately i am one of those nitpicky perfectionists....life is hard :p

10. ltn macrumors member

How does the dust get under the screen. I heard the screen can be unlevel. How unlevel does it have to be? Does anyone have any pictures for reference? Thanks.

11. KingHuds macrumors 6502

The most I have seen it off is a few millimeters on one of the corners...nothing major.

12. ltn macrumors member

Now is the screen actually above the silver bezel? I know my screen is depressed a little more on one side but not coming up over the silver part.

13. KingHuds macrumors 6502

14. McPablo macrumors newbie

Dust under screen

Just to give you my experience with the dust.

Had my iPhone around 4 months and decided to get a case to keep it safe from drops.

After 1 week I noticed the case was attracting a lot of dust. When I took the case off to clean it I saw there was quite a few (10 or so) specks of dust under the screen.

Made a genius appointment for the next day.

The genius checked the headphone and dock ports for water damage as usual and she commented there was quite a bit of dust in there. Also when she pulled out the sim card there was a lot of dust in there too.

She was surprised and asked me where I keep it. I mainly keep it in my pocket.

She went out the back to try and blow some of the dust out with an air hose. Which didn't fill me with confidence as it was only going to make things worse and had no chance of freeing the dust under the screen.

'Luckily' she noticed the sleep/wake button was depressed (flush with case) and said she could replace it for that reason.

I got the impression she was struggling to replace the phone under warranty (I don't have Applecare) for the dust alone.

So i'm not sure if it was the case made the dust worse or just co-incidence. Maybe having the case on just highlighted how much dust was around the phone.

I'm worried if this happens again i'll struggle to get it replaced. It looks like I'll have to use some dust caps for the headphone and dock ports in future which seriously hinders usability.

Anyone else noticed that a case causes dust problems rather than solves them?

15. seanemac007 macrumors newbie

I've been researching this today because a large speck has appeared under my screen, maybe the size of a medium sized pepper flake, but orange in color. Very annoying.

My concern is that my phone is nearly 2 years old and my applecare and warranty are up. I cannot quite pin down how old the phones are in all the reports I've been reading.

Anyone getting the impression that provided the phone is physically sound Apple is for the most part taking care of this issue?

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I got my 3GS on launch day and two days ago a big piece of dust (along with lots of smaller ones) just magically appeared. Will they replace it?

17. seanemac007 macrumors newbie

Well, here is my update. They replaced it. They did give me a little grief over it being out of warranty and two years old, but I played the "the screen and glass is supposed to be an intact, sealed component of the phone, right?" card, and they took care of it right in the store.

Funny thing - it took two years to see my first fleck of dust under that screen. Two weeks after getting the new one, I have a new fleck of dust.

Thankfully my iPhone 4 will be here tomorrow.