Dust or Dead Pixel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors member

I see a black dot on the screen sometimes, but mostly it's see through on a white background. Most of the time you can't even see it, but on a green background it appeared as a kind of tiny black dot.

Maybe it's a dead pixel or dust? Anyone else notice something like this?

It's weird because sometimes you can't really see it, only a little and it seems more white.

2. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Maybe post some pictures of the issue? Post it with different colored backgrounds (white, black, green, blue, etc).

Model of computer? cMBP or rMBP?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you have dead pixels.

Either way, if your computer is new, this probably covered under warranty.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think apple is willing to replace laptops due to a single dead pixel. You could possibly ask for a replacement if you're within the return period.

This link is a couple of years old but I think its still relevant

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Complain! The more you do it, the likely you'll get results! :p

(Just a couple days ago, I had the hardest time explaining a couple idioms to a non-native English speaker)

6. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

My computer is 31 months, over 2 years. I think the warranty is done.

There's only really the one. It could be dust. Could be a pixel. It's hard to tell, because sometimes you barely see it and othertimes you do. o_O

How does a dead pixel happen anyway?

7. IndoX macrumors regular

If you got Apple Care on your Mac it extends the warranty for an additional 2 years - so 3 years total.

You should take it into Apple anyways, they can look at it and tell you the issue for free. That way you can confirm it's a dead pixel (or not).

For future reference, I'd get Apple Care on these computers. Paying an extra $200-300 on a $1000+ machine is protecting your investment and ensuring you get the most out of it.

8. cpuin macrumors member

7 pixels

FYI

The warranty of Apple covers dead pixel ONLY if there are at least 7 dead pixels.If you have less they won't cover it!!!

9. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

I don't have that either, so I guess I'll deal with it. It's no big deal really.

But out of curiosity, say you did want to have behind the screen clean or replaced. How much would that cost?