Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Forced Perfect said:
I use one whenever possible. But to be honest, I'm lazy. And in many cases (such as hunting for cute furry critter photos) I don't want to be moving a tripod around. But I totally agree that using a tripod is way better than IS (although not better than a faster aperture lens because you'll never get the background blur that can make a photo really stand out) but most people don't want to carry theirs around - especially if they don't have a carbon fiber one that doesn't weigh anything and won't turn to ice in the cold. My know my crappy $30 one gets so damn cold I don't touch it in the winter.

You know a wooden one would (though it'd be heavy) be easier to deal with in the cold. I've got a huge CF tripod, it's a pain to haul around, but it's the only thing that'll support my 400mm lens well. I've also found neoprene paddling gloves for kayakers to be invaluable for keeping on inside some heavy shells for cold-weather shooting.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Forced Perfect said:
It's not easy! But hey, I'd rather do my best handheld than not try because I don't have my tripod with me.

If that makes any sense.
Point taken! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.