iPhone X Dust/Speck Inside The iPhone XS/XS Max Camera Lens

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Just got mine today. Lo and behold, a dust spec on the main camera and a few tiny ones on the front-facing camera. Anybody else?

Reactions: LieinKing

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
Just got mine today. Lo and behold, a dust spec on the main camera and a few tiny ones on the front-facing camera. Anybody else?
Apple's had this issue for a little bit. Probably so much volume in their factories it's harder to control all dust...so it's sealed inside during manufacturing.

It should not impact the photos, but if bothered return. For those that don't like the return process, and having to explain a minor issue...purchase online and return until you get a dust free version.

LieinKing

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2018
UK
Glad I’m not alone. Had my iPhone Xs for 7 days now and I’ve only just noticed 2 particles under the bottom lens and 1 in the lens above. So it was either there to begin with or particles have managed to get through the seal.

Very frustrating considering the cost of the device. And although it seems trivial I don’t trust the phone to be waterproof. I’m going to cancel my contract within the 14 days and hope that I can get another one.

I’ve had dust issues with all my iPhones and I’ve had some exchanges to get it right but considering this is a dust proof rated £1k phone! I expected better.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This was super common with the X. As long as the dust isn't on the lens itself it will be ok. Someone smart than I told me that the dust won't ever move because of the way its sealed off in there.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
This was super common with the X. As long as the dust isn't on the lens itself it will be ok. Someone smart than I told me that the dust won't ever move because of the way its sealed off in there.
The reason the dust will not move, is because there is lack of air movement when it’s encapsulated under the camera lens cover. It doesn’t matter if you try to shake it, the only way to remove the dust is to physically clean behind the camera lens cover.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Nope. Apple qc sucks. I'm just bring it to light

Last edited by a moderator:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Nope. Apple qc sucks. I'm just bring it to light
I don’t think you’re bringing anything ‘To Light’, at least not just one thread a few members might comment on, compared to the millions of iPhone users who don’t frequent tech sites. I could make the counter argument every Apple product I have owned has never had a defect. So just because you’re affected, doesn’t mean you can broad stroke your opinion to everyone else. I respect that Apple is not perfect, especially when you mass produce any product into the millions, but don’t you think it’s more about how the company stands behind the product? I do.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Glad I’m not alone. Had my iPhone Xs for 7 days now and I’ve only just noticed 2 particles under the bottom lens and 1 in the lens above. So it was either there to begin with or particles have managed to get through the seal.

Very frustrating considering the cost of the device. And although it seems trivial I don’t trust the phone to be waterproof. I’m going to cancel my contract within the 14 days and hope that I can get another one.

I’ve had dust issues with all my iPhones and I’ve had some exchanges to get it right but considering this is a dust proof rated £1k phone! I expected better.
Enjoy your phone if it doesn’t affect your photos your fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.