Dust Speck Under Glass

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sdsvtdriver, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

:(

Today I noticed a 'big' white dust spec under the glass of my problem-free iPhone. I have an appointment with the Apple store tomorrow.

Do they have the ability to remove the glass and clean this onsite? I really don't want another phone if it is a refurb. I haven't had any of the common signal, call failed, dropped call, or battery issues others have had.

thx.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They won't repair right there, they will give you a new iPhone 3G.

It's 50/50 being refurbished. If it's in a plain white box, then you could possibly ask and see what he says since it will be a refurb, but if there is a picture of an iPhone on it and it's black (or white) then it will be new.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

More info is needed. If your within 14 days, they will give you a new iPhone. Out of 14 days, a "genius" will look at it and decide what to do. The "genius" will either tell you to take a hike or, replace with a refurb. They will not fix it and, most likely will not give you a new iPhone if you are out of 14 days.

Having said that, Apples customer service has impressed me on many occasion.

Good Luck.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The 14 day thing is for sure, but my friends iPhone got "stuck" upgrading to 2.2 and him or Apple couldn't do anything about, so they gave him a new iPhone.

5. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

Bought it in July. We'll see I guess.

This isn't the best photo, however this gives an idea of what it looks like. I wish it was less noticeable and I'd just deal with it. :(

[​IMG]

6. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

7. .adam macrumors regular

Took mine back last Friday for the same reason. Replaced it on the spot with a new iPhone - no questions asked.

Will be taking this one back today as it has a light-leak and the colours seem washed out in comparison to my previous one.

Don't settle until you're happy with the iPhone you've got.

8. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

Welp, the good news is they replaced it.

The bad news is the replacement has a bad case of light leak. :(

Back to the store again tomorrow.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

And so it begins. This is why in most cases it's better to just stick with what you have. Chances are you'll go through like 3 or 4 phones (based on experiences people on this site have shared) before you're happy. I figure that the chances that you're going to eventually drop and damage your phone are pretty high, so you might as well just live with a spec of dust which often disappears with time and use anyway. Good luck though.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

couldn't have said it any better

11. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess 'speck' wasn't a good description as it suggests the item is small and unnoticeable. As it was, I found myself trying to wipe it off the screen everytime I used it. If it was hardly noticeable, I would have kept my original phone, believe me!

Anyway, I went in and after explaining how 'it is in spec' according to the head genius, they agreed to exchange. I asked if we could take it outside in the dark and test for light leaks before it was activated and they agreed. Immediately, I noticed it also had some leak, however not as bad as the one I was exchanging. I stated I did not want to go through their inventory looking for a 'perfect' phone, but asked to look at one more and we did. The last one was acceptable and I walked out with it. Interestingly, the first swap was a week 45 (2.1) and this one is a week 38 (2.02).

I'm glad they were able to resolve my issue to my satisfaction. :cool:

12. ToddJ macrumors 6502

my 2g has this too...however, it is out of warranty....do you think there is any chance they might replace it?