Dust stuck in screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors member

The dust spect that is noticable is gray. A little dot in the middle of the screen. With the comp off you can tell it's while small still a pretty big sized dust spec. I have tried shaking the comp to compressed air. I think the only solution would be too take the screen off but I couldn't do that confidently.

There is no apple store near me and had my comp for over 2 years. I can live with it but is there any solution? How did that dust even get in the screen?

2. pnyc macrumors 6502

The dust can get in, the screen is not hermetically sealed or anything. Especially in an older computer it can accumulate and form a little dustball(s), it also might have been there since the day you bought it just in a different part of the display assembly where it couldn't be seen.

You might be able to remove the front glass panel from the display assembly using a heat gun(blow dryer) and suction cups, I have done it on a 2009 MacBook, it's a slow process and you might end up breaking the glass panel. Ultimately it might not be worth the risk and the work plus you might get more dust inside the display assembly while working on it. You'll also need a double sided adhesive tape to re-attach the glass panel.

3. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Yikes, def not a good idea for me to attempt! If I ever found anyone who was an expert maybe but no way I could!

The dustball dot is in the middle of the screen. Would blowing compressed air into the sides of the screen maybe dislodge it? At the same time that could blow more dust in. Even shaking the comp a little won't dislodge the dust, it is good and stuck.

4. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

It is risky but you could try to take of the glass, clean the dust out and put it back on again. However there will be a pretty big chance that will only get you more dust under the glass.

5. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

I won't risk it, I don't know how to do that stuff right. Thanks though!
    Sigh I just don't get how that dust got to the middle of the screen. You'd think it'd start to move down but it is stuck in place.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

Its super easy to remove the glass. heat it slightly with a heat gun or hair dryer (don't get too close with a heat gun and blow at an angle so it doesn't melt the rubber trim between the "glass" and the metal. put a suction cup on it and pull just a little, get a thin piece of plastic (like the lid from a box that has a clear plastic lid) and put it between the rubber and the glass, slide the plastic along while pulling a bit with the suction cup and it comes right off. The only issue is once its off its easy to get MORE dust in it, I took mine off because there was a big dust bit right in the middle, still has a little dust but its over by the black bezel now so doesn't bother me. The glass is really really flexible it would be very hard to break if you are careful. You would pretty much need to try to break it. The key is to just use the heat gun a little and the suction cup a little because the plastic is what does 99% of the work

7. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

I would but I am FAR to clumsy and would get to nervous. I'd rather not mess with that sort of thing and let someone experience handle it. :)

For now it's fine. I just cannot understand how the dust dot got in the center of the screen. It's big enough (well small you know what I mean) I don't see how it ended up in the center. You'd think since it got their it would move but it seems stuck in place now.