Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickyD53

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Union City, CA
I seem to be collecting dust under my 3GS screen. its a bit irritating because i cashed out for this phone and want it in prestine condition. will apple replace it?

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
I recently took apart my iphone 3g ( and cracked the LCD)

learned that the lcd panel just sits behind the digitizer. Apple should have at least put in a rubber gasket around the lcd to keep dust out :(

dodgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Hey,

Has anyone in the UK had any luck in getting this repaired at an Apple Store in the UK? I've got a LOT of dust under my 3GS screen and I'd like to have this done. I haven't got Apple Care but am I right in thinking this would be covered by standard warranty?

Rich

KSUWizard

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
Manhattan, KS
I went in with my 3G about 6 months ago because of dust under the screen. The guy at the Apple Store said that dust under the screen is not covered under warranty ( phone was purchased a year ago at christmas and I have the applecare plan). He was able to give me a one probono replacement screen as a measure of good faith but he said next time it will be $200 for a new screen. Maybe they will say that dust is warrantable, but just thought i would let you know my experience. Hope this helps.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hey,

Has anyone in the UK had any luck in getting this repaired at an Apple Store in the UK? I've got a LOT of dust under my 3GS screen and I'd like to have this done. I haven't got Apple Care but am I right in thinking this would be covered by standard warranty?

Rich
yes I had several 3g's one was swapped 3 times in the 15 minutes all with dust and I'm on my second 3gs.

Apple uk are happy to swap. They don't mess around though they just swap the unit.

dodgie

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Ah that's good to know, thanks! Just out of interest did you have Apple Care? I don't but am still not happy being tied into a 24 month contract with what I believe is a defective phone.

Rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.