Dust Under Cracked Screen???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boshii, Jan 21, 2010.

1. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I cracked my 3G screen last week. It was my first time dropping since buying it on day one. I had it in my lap (which i normally never do) while driving and it fell flat on its face when i was getting out. :mad:

I've already ordered a replacement glass and digitizer since the phone still works perfectly. My problem is that I can now see dust specks accumulating under the glass. What's the safest way to clean the LCD when I'm taking it apart?

Oh, here's a pic of the damage.

[​IMG]

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

the digitizer and glass are two pieces. so i dont think theres anything under the digitizer, well, you ordered a new one, so when u take those out to replace them there wont be any dust. i never took apart my phone so dont flame.

3. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I had a speck of dust underneath the glass on my iPhone (not cracked). I smacked the bottom of the phone off the palm of my hand a couple times and the dust fell off the screen.

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You should be able to use compressed air (available at any office supply or department store electronics section) to blow the dust out once it's open. Just make sure you hold the can completely upright—you can bend the straw attached to the nozzle to aim it, but don't tilt the can itself, or you'll get some liquid spraying out! Also, before you blow it at the iPhone itself, give a few blasts in another direction to clear out the delivery system; sometimes your first few puffs will include debris and/or liquid. Once you're set, go to town on the iPhone! It's better to use the air in short bursts rather than one continuous stream.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but you want to do the whole repair job in as dust-free an environment as possible. The bathroom is, strangely enough, one of the best places for this, as long as it's not too humid.

5. kicko macrumors 65816

Same here, I had a speck at the top, so i flipped the phone upside down and gently flicked with my finger. Now its "gone" :)

6. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

sounds good. i'll try this.

7. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

8. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

So I read another thread about dust under the surface. Someone said that the 'Seal' was compromised usually either due to bending and in your case a beautiful crack to the face of the phone.

The suggestion was to go to the Apple store and book an appointment with a genius and you can have the whole phone replaced.

So yesterday when I was out purchasing my wireless keyboard for my MBP13" I asked about getting my iPhone checked out for the dust specks.

Genius booked an appointment for me and suggested that I back up my phone prior to seeing the Genius.

SO, here I am with a Brand New iPhone! Just as long as you're still under warranty you should be fine but if not I guess a can of compressed air should suffice, by either blowing through the cracks.