Dust Under Home Button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teknikal90, Aug 17, 2009.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Ok, I'm getting a buildup of dust around my home button.
    An eyesore, and I'm afraid it might get to this:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/4291585.html

Now is it safe for me to slide the edge of a $5 note around the home button to try get some of the dust out? (i live in australia, we have durable, yet thin, bank notes :) )
    Or is it possible for me to somehow break a seal of some sort that keeps the dust away from under the screen?
    i only ask because ive had this dust under the screen problem before and i dont want to have to replace the iphone again...
    anyone opened up the iphone and know what the seal is like??

thanks all!

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

My friend, I feel your pain. I have been doing that same trick since I first got my device, and that is my #1 worry, ahead of scratching the screen or chrome apple on the back.

Every once in a while, I take a piece of paper and go around my home button, flicking the dust up and out, and it just amazes me how (that article mentions it) something like this could be overlooked through 5 (FIVE) iPhones and iPod Touches - a rubber gasket.

All the way around the screen, is a little rubber gasket - and I only know because a portion of mine popped out for some reason, and I picked at it and tucked the rest back - it prevents dust under the screen, so the idea goes. Putting the same gasket around the home button would surely better protect against lint and dust under and around the button. It blows me away that this little detail is still not included in its design.

Anyway, long answer short, yes, I do just that with paper. No issues at all, and I continue to avoid some potentially deadly situation it seems.

3. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thansk for the reply!

but i meant surely theres a seal that prevents dust coming in FROM the home button INTO under the screen?my previous iphone had dust under the screen right above the home button and i figured its perhaps there was a faulty seal around the home button, which is why im afraid i might somehow unseal that if i do this, and let dust come under the screen through the home button...haha
    but you answered my question i guess..theres no dustproof seal around the home button?