Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solo2vtec83

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
I have two dust specs as well but bought my iPad from Bestbuy, do you think I can take back mine back?

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
I have two dust specs as well but bought my iPad from Bestbuy, do you think I can take back mine back?

People have written that they were able to exchange them at best buy because of dust or dead pixels, so go ahead and give it a shot.

I think it's easy, especially with apple products, to obsess over the mundane. Sure no one likes a dead pixel, and to a lesser extent dust. I have a speck and I think an aluminum speck, but it doesn't really bother me. I try to enjoy the iPad as the incredible tool it is. Things you use will eventually get marred or worn, so everyone enjoy your ipads!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
My first iPad had a speck of dust and was only noticeable on a light background. I took it to the Apple store (even though I ordered online) and they swapped it out for me. This new iPad has something else wrong with it... I don't think it's another dust speck and i don't know if it's pixel related, but there is one spot that no matter what color background its on, that spot is a lighter or brighter shade than the rest. You can only see it if looking at it from an angle (not straight on).

I'm not sure what to do about it, since another trip to the Apple store means another 2.5-3 hour drive (total, there and back). I know someone mentioned that the OP should keep theirs and not worry about it. That's an option, but to me, once you know it's there it's like the damn thing is staring you dead in the eye every time.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Dust under the screen is a fact of life with Apple products lately. Let's see, - my i7 iMac 27" had some dust under the display. I had to blow if off with a rocket blower. My iPhone 3GS has dust under the glass, my MacBook Pro had dust under the glass etc etc. Oh, and my 24" LED display has dust under the glass. The glass is the LAST part to go on these devices (in the case of the iMac and 24" LED display etc), and unless it's a completely dust-free environment (which doesn't *truly* exist), you're ALWAYS going to have something getting in there.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
With made in China products normally you are gonna have issues with quality lol, I know it would be awesome if Apple made everything in the USA, creating more jobs, but it would cost them too much money compared to China :(

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
With made in China products normally you are gonna have issues with quality lol, I know it would be awesome if Apple made everything in the USA, creating more jobs, but it would cost them too much money compared to China :(

You think there aren't dust in USA factories? Dream on. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the extra quality you will get if you had the iPads made in the States will not be worth the extra cost.

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
I have a TINY spec that I will live with. As mentioned, I would not risk running into another/worse problem by exchanging it. Especially since I have no other problems (Wifi, dead pixel, yellow tint...).

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You think there aren't dust in USA factories? Dream on. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the extra quality you will get if you had the iPads made in the States will not be worth the extra cost.

It's not about that, Apple, an American company, could give alot of people hope with having jobs to manufacture products right here in America, but that's how monopolies are so whatever.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I have a TINY spec that I will live with. As mentioned, I would not risk running into another/worse problem by exchanging it. Especially since I have no other problems (Wifi, dead pixel, yellow tint...).

Yea I don't have the WiFi problem or the yellow tint problem. I have discovered 1 dead pixel. Oh well.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's not about that, Apple, an American company, could give alot of people hope with having jobs to manufacture products right here in America, but that's how monopolies are so whatever.

What monopoly?

Apple is not a humanitarian organization that exists to give americans jobs. You have your government for that.

If they moved production to the US prices would go up and that would screw over alot of consumers.

So you are suggesting to screw over a lot of consumers to the benefit of a few americans who can then get jobs.
And dont forget those poor chinese that would lose their manufacturing jobs.

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Well it finally got to me and I made a Genius appointment for tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

mobileops

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Everyone will have dust

I have bad news for anyone who hasn't looked at their ipad under fluorescent light. You're all gonna have dust under that screen. Every apple device, in fact ever LCD will has dust under the screen in that setting. Just looks under the light with my ipad, 4 or 5 small pieces I've never noticed before. Same light, iphone, same finding. Macbook, dust.

Just part of the process. A dust free iPAD doesn't exist.

JB

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I have bad news for anyone who hasn't looked at their ipad under fluorescent light. You're all gonna have dust under that screen. Every apple device, in fact ever LCD will has dust under the screen in that setting. Just looks under the light with my ipad, 4 or 5 small pieces I've never noticed before. Same light, iphone, same finding. Macbook, dust.

Just part of the process. A dust free iPAD doesn't exist.

JB

Sorry, that's just not true. I have zero dust under my iPhone 3GS screen. I looked with an LED light. No dead pixels either.

And, I have no dust under my MPB screens.

I'm not saying that the majority of these devices are dust free, it's just not factual to say that ALL of them have it.

blg123

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Dust question

I'm picking up the 64GB Wifi+3G on Friday at my local Apple store. If I told them that I would like to have it checked for dust and dead pixels before I left the store, do you think they would object? I assume they could do this in the store (i.e. display a graphic on the new ipad to see if there were any dust or deal pixels)??

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
It doesnt matter where these are built.

These are not built in cleanrooms. So there will be some specks.

Assemblers just wear smocks and esd straps....

Some of you guys are just anal. :p

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
I'm picking up the 64GB Wifi+3G on Friday at my local Apple store. If I told them that I would like to have it checked for dust and dead pixels before I left the store, do you think they would object? I assume they could do this in the store (i.e. display a graphic on the new ipad to see if there were any dust or deal pixels)??

They should...doesn't seem as an unreasonable request.

Probably have some pissed off Apple Customers behind you though. :D

mobileops

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Looking for dust shortens your life

I've been thru the "anal about dust and dead pixels" never ending return policy for years, and it wasn't until recently that I realized spending all that time worrying about it, returning it looking for the perfect unit, and arguing with the store lead to nothing more than wasted time, a perfect device that had a shelf life of 2 years, and no benefit.

There's a difference between big pieces of dust you can see directly under the screen in a normal room and the dust that everyone and anyone else DOES have. I agree, sometimes those big pieces are distracting, and maybe justifiable return if multiple and in your way. But I promise anyone who thinks they have a dust free unit. Bring it outside and look under direct sunlight, you'll find dust. 100% of them. It may be the only setting in which you'll find dust, but you'll find it. If you can't find it, I'll find it for you. With that much screen real estate and glass covered LCD, all units have dust.

My only wish was that the iPAD glass screen could be removed, like an iMAC, and the dust blown out. Has anyone figured out if that move is possible?

JB

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
My only wish was that the iPAD glass screen could be removed, like an iMAC, and the dust blown out. Has anyone figured out if that move is possible?

JB

Not if its like the iPhone - glass has the digitizer glued to it hence cant actually get to the back of the glass

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Funny how I stumbled into this thread, as I also have a piece of dust under my ipad screen. Luckily for me it's fairly small and I don't have any pixel problems (as far as I can tell). I'll probably just keep it.

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
If an air bubble or dust materializes beneath the glass screen, this is due to a separation of the touch surface from the LCD screen. The new iPhone 4 screen manufacturing process, which decreases the separation between the touch panel and LCD screen, will likely reduce the probability of any dust or air bubbles forming...

Regarding iPad or iPhone, you should ALWAYS replace your unit if a dust particle or air bubble appears. This likely means that separation is occurring and that long-term, multi-touch accuracy will degrade.

I've had iPhone 3G replaced out of warranty due to an air bubble. And I've had iPad 3G replaced after a single-day due to a dust particle.

Good luck.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I'm going to wait and see if it keeps eating at me. I have a car with a dying fuel pump and the closest store to me is about 45 minutes away in Atlanta traffic. I got into an exchange war over an LCD monitor a few years back over dead pixels and it was a nightmare.

The longer you wait, the less likely they'll be able to swap it for you. If anything just call Apple and see what you can do via that route, before driving to the store.

TSloper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I purchased a 3G unit this past weekend. I didn't even get out of the BB parking lot. I saw dust under the screen before even turning it on. I took it back in and had it replaced. It sucks we have to deal with this but 99% of the buyers could probably care less.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008

You've already said more than enough.

Stop before you make yourself look any worse.

Jimblob

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
England. UK
Dust

Hi

I had 2 specks of dust under my screen when it arrived the other day. Well that or a dead pixel and a bit of dust. It was right in the middle of the screen so is noticeable on a light coloured page.

I got mine from the online Apple store, so called them up.

I want mine to be perfect, I`am pretty anal like that.

They were great and have dispatched me a new one even before they have the old one back.

Cant fault their customer service, the two people I spoke to during the call were brilliant.

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.