Dust under iPhone screen...or crack?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chocolate632, Jan 30, 2010.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

ok so i just dropped my iPhone...on cement, in which it landed facedown (it was naked btw)

So i pick it up and inspected it for damage. No cracks it seems. But i DID notice a small, brownish white dot. I don't think its a crack because when i run my finger nail over it, its smooth. And i it seems to small to be a crack.

So im guessing that this is a crumb (it was on a napkin full of crumbs, which i grabbed, causing it to fall). If i bring my phone back to apple (3GS, still under 1 year warranty) what will they do?

Will they replace it for free? Clean it? Is it one of those situations where I have to get lucky to get it fixed for free?

thanks!

2. Paul B macrumors 6502

There have been reports of people getting replacements due to dust under the screen (search).

The only way you will know for sure is if you bring it to the Apple Store.

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the best way to approach them about this?

4. Paul B macrumors 6502

Are you serious? Bring it to the Apple Store.

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

Take it to an Apple store and talk to them..... I would leave out the part about dropping it.

6. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

if they see clear drop marks, they will probably not replace it (they will assume that you are trying to get a new phone because you dropped it and want a new one )

7. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

It has literally not drop marks somehow so I'm good in that area:)

8. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

ahh never mind then, consider yourself lucky

in that case , its worth a shot :D