Dust under ipod touch screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ultralord910, Oct 17, 2008.

1. ultralord910 macrumors newbie

I bought a 2G ipod touch about a month ago from a local apple store :D. Today, while cleaning the screen, I have found two dust particles that are actually inside the screen :(. They can be viewed even if the screen is off so they're definitely not dead pixels. Even though they are not too noticeable, I still find it very irritating because I can see it clearly with the screen turned off and sometimes with it turned on. I'm wondering whether apple will be able to give me a replacement for this problem. Did anyone else experience this, did apple give you a replacement?

Also, do I need to return the original retail box with everything inside and receipt to get a replacement? Do I need to restore my ipod to factory setting as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :eek:

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I made a topic about this exactly a week ago...but if I recall correctly no one even replied to it.

I had a lot of dust under the screen on my 2G iPod touch, I don't think there was even one centimetre worth of 'empty' screen. If you use your iPod in the dark, does any light happen to come out from between the glass and chrome (a light leak)? This is what mine also did and I guess that's how all the dust got in.

I called Apple and they're organising a replacement for me, right now my dust-covered iPod is on it's way to Apple in Sydney. Hope you can get yours replaced too :)

With my iPod I only had to send it on it's own -- none of the packaging or earbuds or other accessories (of course it may be different if you take it into an actual store), but in saying this they don't send a repackaged iPod in it's place, just in a normal cardboard box with the plastic protectors that come on most new electronics. This is the third iPod I've had to send to Apple (the first two, last year, were a normal click-wheel iPod and a first gen touch, both suffered major hardware failure) and this is the only one I've done a restore on, mainly because I don't want them to get any of my personal info if I actually left something on there (I didn't have any contacts, calendars, bookmarks and didn't use Mail on the first gen).

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

time heals all things

i wouldnt worry too much about it but thats me.

but yea you can try taking it back as its under waranty. bring everything if you do probably

4. iproduct macrumors newbie

iproduct

the same thing happened to me several times. in addition to dust under the screen, the home button stopped working. so it was very annoying to actually use the ipod. after an appointment at the store, they replaced it for me.

i am on my third ipod touch (first gen).

this probably happens a lot to iphones too.

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

You dont need bring anything just the iPod also dont erase anything as if you go to the store they will transfer it to the new iPod. I have had this done to my iPod Video because the click wheel broke.

6. ultralord910 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to the apple store either today or tomorrow.....hope for the best :) Is a genius appointment necessary or can I just go there.

7. Rstar macrumors newbie

Help

Hey i was just reading all this. i jailbroke my ipod and im wondering what would happen if i went and saw them, should i restore to defualt first?

8. natedude24 macrumors newbie

Technically if you jailbreak your iPod, it voids the warranty. I would restore it before going in if I were you.

9. fwoppers macrumors member

Yes, restore. They may or may not be able to tell that you modified it at all (probably not), but if they do, NO WARRANTY FOR YOU! ;P

EDIT: I just realized that the post before me resurrected this thread from a year and a half-old death. Apologies for continuing the old-thread bump :\

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Since this post has been resurrected anyways, i thought i would ask. i am in the same situation. the screen isn't that bad just yet but i am sure it is going to only get worse from here on out. i have a 16gb 2g touch that i took great care of but i guess the gasket around the screen tore somewhere so dust started seeping in. I want to know if they will still do something about it if i go to the store as my warranty has long expired on it.