Dust under MBP screen ):

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Long story short, bought a MBP off Craigslist, everything was fine and dandy until I realized there was a tiny speck of dust under the glass. I thought it was on the outside and I kept rubbing it, but it won't go away.

I only see it when I look REALLY hard (it's about 2 pixels large) but knowing it is there really bothers me.

MBP is out of warranty, just wondering what my chances are of Apple opening the glass up and spraying some compressed air in there. Or if I would be able to do it myself, and how?

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS. It is an Early 2011 MBP 2.0 i7/8GB RAM/ATI discrete + Intel Integrated Graphics/500GB HDD + 128GB SSD/External Superdrive model

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4LLOhLH20E

It can cost you. Id prefer it doing it on your own.
Gah...a real "cutie" in that video.

Anyway, I guarantee you can disassemble your MBP and remove that single piece of dust. I also guarantee that you end up with a new piece of dust somewhere else.

Seems like a bad idea but if you're going to do it invest in a can of compressed air, swiffer sheets, and do it in a relatively humid room (bathroom after a shower). Closest you can get to a homemade clean-room.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Gah...a real "cutie" in that video.

Anyway, I guarantee you can disassemble your MBP and remove that single piece of dust. I also guarantee that you end up with a new piece of dust somewhere else.

Seems like a bad idea but if you're going to do it invest in a can of compressed air, swiffer sheets, and do it in a relatively humid room (bathroom after a shower). Closest you can get to a homemade clean-room.
I'm worried about this the most, as I'm pretty sure something else bad will happen. Might just take my chances with the Genius Bar and hope they are sympathetic

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
You could perhaps just lift a section of the screen and blast air with a nozzled can, but you'd be kicking yourself like mad if something went wrong. I don't think it's worth a DIY unless you're very confident. Depending on how far gone the warranty is, Apple may help.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
I would listen to the above posters in this case... macbook pro display units are not very DIY-friendly...

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
You could perhaps just lift a section of the screen and blast air with a nozzled can, but you'd be kicking yourself like mad if something went wrong. I don't think it's worth a DIY unless you're very confident. Depending on how far gone the warranty is, Apple may help.
I don't know, as it was used and I don't have a receipt. All I know is that is an "Early 2011" model. According to CoconutBattery she's sitting at 19 months old though

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I don't know, as it was used and I don't have a receipt. All I know is that is an "Early 2011" model. According to CoconutBattery she's sitting at 19 months old though
I guess it was bought when it came out in February. That's quite a lot over the warranty. I mean you can try, but given the lack of severity I don't think you will be successful.