Dust under MBP screen ):

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fast/Furious, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Long story short, bought a MBP off Craigslist, everything was fine and dandy until I realized there was a tiny speck of dust under the glass. I thought it was on the outside and I kept rubbing it, but it won't go away.

I only see it when I look REALLY hard (it's about 2 pixels large) but knowing it is there really bothers me.

MBP is out of warranty, just wondering what my chances are of Apple opening the glass up and spraying some compressed air in there. Or if I would be able to do it myself, and how?

Help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS. It is an Early 2011 MBP 2.0 i7/8GB RAM/ATI discrete + Intel Integrated Graphics/500GB HDD + 128GB SSD/External Superdrive model

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

3. klover macrumors 6502a

Gah...a real "cutie" in that video.

Anyway, I guarantee you can disassemble your MBP and remove that single piece of dust. I also guarantee that you end up with a new piece of dust somewhere else.

Seems like a bad idea but if you're going to do it invest in a can of compressed air, swiffer sheets, and do it in a relatively humid room (bathroom after a shower). Closest you can get to a homemade clean-room.

4. Fast/Furious thread starter macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

I'm worried about this the most, as I'm pretty sure something else bad will happen. Might just take my chances with the Genius Bar and hope they are sympathetic

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You could perhaps just lift a section of the screen and blast air with a nozzled can, but you'd be kicking yourself like mad if something went wrong. I don't think it's worth a DIY unless you're very confident. Depending on how far gone the warranty is, Apple may help.

6. ibebyi macrumors member

I would listen to the above posters in this case... macbook pro display units are not very DIY-friendly...

7. Fast/Furious thread starter macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

I don't know, as it was used and I don't have a receipt. All I know is that is an "Early 2011" model. According to CoconutBattery she's sitting at 19 months old though

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I guess it was bought when it came out in February. That's quite a lot over the warranty. I mean you can try, but given the lack of severity I don't think you will be successful.