Dust under my screen (again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Feb 2, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a unibody MacBook Pro purchased in October. This morning I noticed a spot on the screen that hadn't been there before. After looking at it closely it appears to be dust. I had this problem with my MacBook as well. Apple changed out the MacBook for a new one but this Pro is several months old. I was wondering if they would change it out or send it in. I have a 500GB hard drive in it and 4GB of ram that I added. Should I take them out and go back to stock before I take it in? Thanks for the opinions in advance.

2. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Well they were great and replaced the entire screen. What was interesting was that when booting it up the screen looked different. That was because they replaced my 9C84 with a 9C85. All is well thanks to my local Apple Store

3. rhyx macrumors 6502

Any idea what is causing dust to get under the screen? Are you using it in a dusty environment.

4. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Wow that was fast. I went to my local Apple Store almost 2 weeks ago for the same thing. They said they would replace the screen. but had to wait for parts to come in. They said they would call me, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Good to hear they gave you the newer screen. Wonder if they will for me (have mid-2008 [bought in july] MBP).

Update: Nice, they have the parts in, but never called me..... Goodie

5. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I have (literally) 3 dime size spots and 4 inch long vertical streaks on my screen that I now know are dust underneath. I've been living abroad for the past 2 years and its impossible to find an Apple store.

Applecare expires in May and luckily I will be back in the States for a month or so in April. Any ideas on whether they will fix the screen or replace the machine?

It's a MAy '06 17" MBP

eV

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

No, I don't. They didn't offer any explanation on either computer. On the MacBook they just switched machines out as it was only a few days old. On my pro which was bought in October they changed the screen out which was the entire top (lid) of the machine including the aluminum part of it. They had it in stock so it was done in about 6 hours. My wife took it in as I could not and they treated her so well. Walked her to her car when they were done and waited until she was locked in and driving away.

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Be interested to see if you got the same screen or different. I had a 9C84 and got a 9C85 when they replaced it

8. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

They ended up replacing the screen. I will check if its the same model or the new one when I get home. BTW, how do I check the LCD model? Is it under System Profile/?

They will probably replace it. That is what they did for me

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Display

I believe you go to system preferences/display/color/open profile/line 13