Dust under screen 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Golf9020v, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Golf9020v macrumors newbie

So I took my 16gb 3G into the apple store because there was dust under the screen. I had just bought it a couple weeks ago off craigslist. Anyways the guy that sold it to me had a warranty for a few more months from AppleCare so I said that I was him and had a warranty lol. So they replaced it for a "new" refurbished one, and when I got home I noticed that it has a compass and records video! Also I looked up the number in the settings and it's a 3GS! I just thought it was cool and had to tell someone. I don't know if the guy did it on purpose, or an accident. Either way, I'm happy!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You didn't have to tell them you were "him" for the warranty ;)

3. Golf9020v thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you serious? So the warranty transfers?
    Were they supposed to replace the 3G with a 3GS?

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

They probably ran out of supplies. They don't make the 3G anymore so it's relatively easy to get the 3GS instead. ;)

And yes, the warranty transfers.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The warranty transfers but you're suppose to let Apple know of the ownership transfer. There are instructions if you search Google.

6. pbateman macrumors 6502

What about if you're out of Warranty? Anyone know how much they charge to replace it? or to clean the dust out of the screen?
    My 3g has some pretty bad dust spots thta drive me crazy but I am hesitant to take it to Apple since the cost of repairing it might be more than the cost of me getting one off ebay...

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Give it a shot and take it to the Apple Store.

If the Genius feels generous enough, he'll replace it.