Dust under screen because of SSD upgrade tips

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rikbrown, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rikbrown macrumors regular

Hey all!

As I'm sure at least a few of you have experienced since a manual SSD upgrade, it's really hard to keep little bits of dust out of your screen, which is obviously annoying.

I've tried compressed air, various types of cloths - but always some gets left in - to my frustration.

Perfect solution? I bought some refill packs for generic dusters from a local convenience store! Ran the duster over the screen insides, and presto, almost all of the dust was gone. Easy solution that catches most of it :)

Cheers!

2. coxhead andy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

coxhead andy macrumors newbie

I think the front screen and plastic / glass is one piece, so you really can not do it clean. it is best to call the face and get a new screen.

3. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It is an informative thread. OP gave us tips to keep our display as clean as possible, and dust free after DIY upgrade on SSD.

Maybe a little "thank you" should suffice, instead of asking the purpose?

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Run duster over screen to remove dust. Thanks.

I quite agree.

6. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Not really since he pointed something out that I already do for years. Besides, since this is a help forum in the first place people usually ask questions in their opening posts so I kept wondering what the question was.

7. Steamrunner macrumors member

Just because you've done something for years doesn't mean everyone's as clued-up as you are- don't forget, we've recently seen a four-page thread on how to use a cloth to get some specks off a screen...

I'd say this is indeed a useful post - it's got a search-friendly title that describes the problem, it's mentioned what the OP has tried that didn't work, and provided a suitable solution. The question may not have been asked, but now it doesn't need to be.

8. Choctaw, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Here we go picking on the way things are posted.

I believe the OP stated clearly he did a manual SSD upgrade and gave advise on how to keep dust out of the screen. Asking a question was not his purpose, it was giving advise on keeping the display clean.

Sometimes I read the most outrageous and child like responses here in the forum, which have no rational application to the subject matter at hand. I wish there was a place in this forum where when someone in our view makes less than intelligent comments or just plain silly ones, we could give our rebuttal without being banded or told to stand in the corner by a moderator. Correcting an untruth is helpful, but nit-picking is not. It is kid stuff and a waste of bandwidth.

MacRumors has been a wonderful place to learn the ends and outs of the Apple Computer and Apple’s way of life. MacRumors also has way too much bickering among members. Some who think they are leaned teachers and want all of us to formulate things only to their way of thinking. As I have stated many times, in the words of Plato….”Arguments like men are often pretenders”. Lets get real and enjoy leaning instead of bickering so much.

9. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was just trying to give some advice on how to get the dust out! Didn't expect to start an argument!

It had been driving me crazy for a week before it dawned on me the obvious solution of using a duster would do it...!

Mainly because I'd been reading all the posts about compressed air, and so on, which hadn't been able to do it completely enough for my liking (little bits of dust were giving me OCD twitches!). So I thought other people might appreciate the info that a simple duster can work wonders, and it'd save them a week of trying to spray out every little bit of dust! :)

10. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

You did fine and it will help someone who needs that information. It is easy to start an argument.......but your info was a helpful post. Many people here are turned off by getting some neg response as you have...but keep on adding your two cents. Some of us appreciate it.

Thanks for your effort
    Choctaw

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Next time please make sure that you post your advice in the form of a question... for example:

"Hey guys, do you know how to avoid the dust under your screen if compressed air isn't doing the trick?"

Then wait a few minutes and reply to yourself:

"I found the solution - use a duster!"

;)

12. rikbrown thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, like a game-show, got it.

Ways to clean the inside of an iMac screen for $200.

"You can use this if you didn't get all the dust out with compressed air"
    "What is a duster?"

13. 360player Guest

I always make sure I have a can of compressed air when working with sesitive parts (such as the screen).

Dust doesnt have the time to stick. :)

14. MacHamster68, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

to the OP , yes this is a forum where most ask questions before reading some related posts in first place
    and in your case most did expect to find a question in your post
    like: " can i use a duster to get rid of the dust on the glass after ssd upgrade instead of a compressed air can "
    so you did do the most unexpected thing giving a tip without anybody asking the question first

and i add something to your unexpected tip
    ideally use a feather duster made from ostrich feathers
    to explain why :
    Black ostrich feathers:
    These feathers come from the male ostrich and are very soft with feathers that are more "stringy" in nature, resulting in a premium duster.
    Gray ostrich feathers:
    These feathers are more stark than the black feathers and are often sold at grocery stores.
    Floss ostrich feathers:
    These feathers are the most soft and delicate feathers and come from underneath the bird's wings. Floss ostrich feathers are more expensive and are the highest quality ostrich feathers.

Ostrich feather dusters are effective by means of the tiny barbules on the feathers themselves that act as fingers to collect the dust. They are often used around electronics because of their resistance to static electricity.

15. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Thanks for the hint. My fear of dust collecting between the lcd and glass has kept me from upgrading. I have used compressed air in the past but it doesn't work that well. The duster should work well!!