dust under screen ? bent enclosure ?

snulkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
so there's at lest 3-4 little specs that are right under my screen. They look like dead pixels, but are not on the LCD itself, but somewhere in-between. I checked really carefully and the glass itself is spotless.

also, the aluminum on the lower right is ever so slightly bent out. I can push on it and it becomes flush with the chrome trim, but it promptly springs back to being bent out.

3 other members of my family have iphones, and none of them have these defects.

I realize these could be seen as extremely picky things, but I believe minimalist design only works if the actual execution is flawless. As are most of the other iPhones I've seen in person.

Do you guys think I would be looked at like a psycho if I took it to a genius bar to get these things addressed ?

GnarleyMarley

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
mine has 3 or 4 dust particles in the screen. not a big deal as everything works flawlessly. i don't want to exchange it and take the chance of getting one that has actually hardware issues. just me of course though. do as you please.

Oversoul

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
I also noticed a speck of dust under the screen, at the top edge near the ear piece. I'm out of the 14-day return period. Any chance of replacement?

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I noticed that the glass isn't positioned flush against the chrome, but oh well. I'm not going to be too particular. I just want to keep it in good condition for re-sale when the 2nd gen comes out.

snulkin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
right...

Gnarley - you're right of course, my iphone hardware is acting fine. It would be scary to get a funky one.

lilnyc - it seems to me like there is a gap in all iphones btw glass and chrome, it's just how it's designed.

I wonder if dust is getting in through small gaps? or did it happen in-factory. I almost want to say that the dust appeared one day, I didn't notice it till a couple of days in.