Dust under screen dilemma (3GS auction)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domino8282, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

So I'm selling my old 16GB 3GS on E-Bay to help cover the cost of my iPhone 4. It's still under an AppleCare Protection Plan until Sept. 2011. The problem is, I just noticed while out in the sun today that there are a few flecks of dust under the touchscreen. I'm sure it's dust and not burnt pixels due to the slightly irregular shape and texture.

Here's the problem: My auction has 2 days left, has bids and has already met reserve. Furthermore, I'm selling the phone as carrier unlocked. I really want to make this right before shipping the phone, because I don't want the buyer to have to do a full restore themselves, take it in for repair, and then unlock it again themselves. It wasn't my intention to scam anyone, I just honestly didn't notice the dust until I was using it with full sunlight bearing down on the screen.

So my question: If I bring this in to an Apple Store tomorrow (Monday), is it possible that they will be able to fix it in-store without sending it off? Should I make an appointment on the website? Obviously I will do a full restore before bringing it in. I also can't let them swap it out, because the refurb may have the newer bootrom.

I would fix it myself, but I don't want to risk voiding the warranty.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

They have the ability to remove the glass there so they should be able to help you.

3. fastblack macrumors regular

They will be able to swap the phone or fix it onsite. I've never seen them send them in.

4. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks I made an appointment. Here's the thing though - I am going to request that they swap the glass rather than do a replacement, because if they swap it for a 3GS with the newer bootrom, it will not be unlockable, which would totally violate the terms of my auction. Obviously I can't tell the Apple Genius this, so I guess I'll just say that it's already up for auction and I wouldn't want to risk violating E-Bay's terms by shipping a different phone. /shrug

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I got my 3GS display replaced two weeks ago for this same reason. They didn't replace the phone at all so you should be fine there. The display replacement only took about 3 minutes. :)

6. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thank you this is exactly what I wanted to hear!! :))

7. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Hmm. Never heard or seen an Apple Store actually replacing on the screen on the spot. I thought they always swap the phone. Maybe things are different now?

Eithetway, 3G/3GS will get dusts under the glass again. The glass is not glued together with the touch panel component like the original and i4. Unless you specifically stated in the auction, a tiny dust that can only be seen under strong light shouldn't be a problem. If you did say no dust, the buyer might come back and say there is one even if you replace the screen now.