dust under screen protector AFTER installing it

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Aug 11, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I know this might sound crazy but is it possible for dust to get under a screen protector after it's been installed? I'm noticing several pieces of dust under my SGP Ultra Oleophobic and they were not there before. I remember having one of two specs of dust under it when I first installed it but now I'm seeing at least 4 or 5.

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

it was there the whole time...remove the protector, wash it, clean the screen better and reapply

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I really don't think so. I remember looking at the screen after I installed it and thinking that it looked great except for one spec of dust on the screen and one spec just off the screen. Now I have several specs on the screen and they were not there before.

4. diesel macrumors 6502a

Most likely there the whole time. I've noticed depending on lighting conditions you will not notice dust under the protector after installing. In certain lighting conditions you might notice dust that wasn't noticeable in a different setting, but it's safe to say it's always been there. And once your eyes catch that dust underneath, you'll begin to always see it.

If it's a static protector, i suggest run a little hot water in your tub in the bathroom so it gets a tad steamy (to keep dust from swirling in the air), then take some scotch tape, lift the edge closest to the dust, take a toothpick and try to snag the dust and remove. also, it goes without saying, don't do this anywhere near your tub/shower that might be wet.

5. smokedog macrumors regular

Isn't it held on with adhesive, wouldn't washing it kill the screen protector?

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Washing it is fine, it's a silicone static cling adhesive.

7. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Get a piece of scotch tape and lift up the corner, wrap another piece of scotch tape around your finger and remove the dust. Easy as pie :)

8. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

+1
    This is much faster and easier than washing it and waiting for it to dry. Quick and easy. Just be careful not to get more dust in there ;)

9. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

No need to let it dry. Put it on wet.

10. waltercln macrumors regular

does this forum have tips on getting a perfect install, really wanna get it perfect. Never been great at adding SP, i always mess them up.

11. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

... and then wait for it to dry (after it's on)

12. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Um no, squeegie it out with an eraser or instalation card and it's done. No waiting for anything to dry

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

It's impossible to squeegie out all of the water. All films designed for wet installation say to give the film time to dry before using it heavily.