Dust under screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ng7apoc, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ng7apoc macrumors member

After receiving my new iMac (base model 21.5") and setting up all up data etc. I happen to notice a white speck on a dark background, its not a dead pixel however, its larger and more like a large speck of dust or bits of fabric that would come off with poor cleaning cloths. Its between the glass and the screen panel.

Now I've seen one I just couldn't help but inspect further and there are numerous bits placed all over the screen but both bottom corners have a considerable area where more of this has obviously settled there.

It doesn't look like the dark dust patches others seem to have, the corners in particular show white area comprised of layers of this stuff built up.

Particularly disappointing given I've got none of the other screen issues so many seem to have with no dead/stuck pixels, no grey band and no yellow tint or uneven backlight.

I knew when I bought it that there was a considerable chance of a screen issue necessitating a return but I felt in away like so many who counter the screen problem arguments that crop up that with so many sold perhaps user forums like this are far more likely to have a more vocal minority expressing their problems but now I've experienced it myself and seen display models in PC World and Comet show issues I think its far more of an issue than some may like to admit.

Now I'm left with a dilemma - return and replace or refund? I don't want to get into the cycle of constant returns/repairs so many seem to fall into with these iMacs in the hope of a 'perfect' screen that may not even exist.

Sorry its more of a rant than anything else I guess the question here is really should I chance getting another and risk it perhaps being the same or even being worse because I'm a perfectionist at the best of times but now I've had one issue others would be inspected well inspected to make sure, or should I just get a refund and save the hassle of waiting in for deliveries and collections and buy a Mini or refurb Pro.

2. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

I hate to tell you this, and I don't mean to be offensive, but are you really thinking of returning the mac because of a little dust? In the scheme of using the pc are you prevented from using it because of dust? Does the dust obscure your everyday work surface enough so that you can't get things done?

I've have multiople dead pixels, which is not hard to have done considering the extent of the manufacturing process which has to put 2, 073, 600 pixels on the screen without any errors.

Realistically these machines are not put together in a NASA dust free room. They are installed in China. You can take the screen off and try to fix it yourself with Stoner Ink streak free spray, but your room for doing that is unlikely to be more than the same as the room tht the Tech guys work in. I don't think you can demand that the tech guys all wear white suits with white shoes and look like a NASA clean room.

Others may disagree with me, but the logistics of having a totally dust free environment to avoid all dust when its installed initially or fixed, is just not cost efficient for Apple. I suppose that Apple could redesign the iMac so that the glass cover and the LCD are one sealed item, and that all repair is from the back, but I suspect that would complicate repairs enormously. In any case it would constitute a major retooling of the pc.

3. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Its more than 'a little dust' its a build up of several layers in both bottom corners plus numerous large particles spread about over the screen, obviously it stands to reason the particles that are in there will make their way down to increase those layers like the rest have and that more may get in if the cause is an improper seal.

Had it been an odd spec or two I'd not have been too bothered, while it may not be a huge crack in the centre to suggest this is not an issue is something I cannot comprehend, I understand that its not a medical grade device and doesn't have to pass stringent 'no issue' guarantees. Its great that it doesn't bother I hope you are happy and enjoy using your product but this IS actually visible in use and IS distracting from my enjoyment of what would otherwise be a fantastic machine I've just paid a considerable amount for from a company that prides itself on quality.

4. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Well.... then.... Go to the Apple store with it, and get it fixed. Apple has the best service in the computer business and in almost any business in america. If its under warranty or Applecare, they will fix it. Apple is sitting on 70 billion in cash, and they have no problems with money issues in fixing things.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

You can take it back to Apple Store to get the screen cleaned, hopefully you can get it done at the same day.

Or you can do it yourself its not difficult. The piece of screen cover (not glass) is attached to the machine by strong magnets. It is very easy to remove, all you need is a suction cup, can of compressed air, a large microfiber cloth and 5 mins of your time.

6. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

This. Very easy to do.

7. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Nearest Apple store is some considerable distance but I think I'll phone them tomorrow and ask about it. Journey would be worth it for a good result and far better than waiting for a courier to collect it.

Self cleaning sounds interesting. I had already seen the YouTube video of someone doing it, can't help but feel once its open it would invite more in there though. Have any of you actually done it yourself and can confirm thats not the case?

In all honesty having experienced a machine with an SSD I was kinda wondering if I should have gone that route to begin with hence in part why I would have been so quick to send it back, either for top end iMac + SSD or refund then buy a Mini for easier self fitting. Now with talk of opening the screen anyway its got me thinking.

8. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

You can always trade it in for a mac mini and buy a separate monitor.

----------

I've not done the repair, but I've done such things as taking my whole Powerbook 800 and wallstreet powerbook apart to replace drives. This is a piece of cake repair. HOWEVER, doing it under warranty may void the warranty. You need to check with Apple before you do this while its under warranty.

9. SuX0rz macrumors member

Same thing happened with mine. Take it to an Apple Store and they'll clean it in about 15 minutes. It's and easy fix. I'm about two hours from my nearest store, but I just waited until I needed go into the city to make it worth it.

10. ng7apoc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input everyone, after contacting Apple I've decided to return it and have now ordered a Mini and Dell u2412m instead. Not simply because of the screen as I realise its an easy and quick fix but because the Mini is overall better suited and being honest is what I would have ordered before I kinda got (hopefully wrongly) overly concerned about its noise level.

Mini + u2412m gives me;

Easier access to install an SSD
    24" 1920x1200 screen
    Ability to put Mini in better location (under desk etc.) if noise is an issue
    Allows me to use the monitor with my MacBook and other devices which is something that I'll be doing often