Dust under screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Hello all. I have dust under my 3G with no warranty (don't ask, although some of you will). Is it as easy as everyone says just get the screws out and use a suction cup and then get the dust out? Does it involve removing the bezel or just the plastic screen comes out? I'd love to get this dust out so any help is great! Thanks :D

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The dreaded "dust under the screen." I'm sure you'll get some contrary answers, but it is not as easy as they say. You might just total your phone (break the case, break a connector inside the phone, etc.). Then again, it might go "smooth as silk." Just be prepared to come back on here to find out how to fix whatever you screw up.

3. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I plan on upgrading to a 3GS in October. I was hoping it would be easy, but since it doesn't seem like it I will just live with it. Thanks.

4. rebecca.x macrumors member

I don't understand how dust could get under the screen in the first place.. unless youve already taken it apart before?

5. kicko macrumors 65816

if there's a will there's a way.

I had some under mine, but not too bad. I decided to hold the phone upside down and gently flick my finger in that location. I noticed the dust was moving downward, so after a few more flicks i can no longer see any dust and it went back inside. problem solved.

6. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

7. kicko macrumors 65816

Wow.. really? you must not get out much :D

Maybe some people have severe dust issue but mine was something that looked like a dead pixel, and with some gentle encouragement it moved and when back inside.

bottom line: i'm happy about it

8. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

i brought my phone to the apple store and they replaced my dusted screen for free.

9. organsoup macrumors member

I have dust under my screen and approximately 18 small bubbles under the black part of the glass along the right edge. Also light leak along the left edge. Planning to have it replaced in a few weeks when I can make it to a retail store. I've had my phone since August 2008 and the bubbles keep reproducing.

10. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Some of you must not read: I don't have my warranty anymore.

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

yeah same, i think I over-dosed on Gold Bond

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Common occurrence on here. Welcome to MR! Oh, you're not new, well, then you should know!

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Easy, it can get in through the dock connector. Happened to me. There was all kinds of crap in there and I made the decision to use a can of air to clean it out. Dumb mistake, because now there is a little dust under my screen as a result.

For those that read this, do not use compressed air to clean out the dock connector!!

14. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

the Genius said the original iphone was sealed so dust could not get in but the 3g and 3gs both can get dust under the screen they replaced mine out of warranty.