dust under screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikalh78, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mikalh78 macrumors regular

just wondering if apple will help me clean the dust under my macbook aluminum screen. i thought that i had dead pixels but rather its dust that is sitting in between the lcd panel. i have apple care as well.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup, they should replace the top case (glass/panel/outer shell combo piece) under warranty.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

That sounds so wasteful when all that they have to do is remove the glass with some acetone/MEK based solvent, clean, and reapply the glass.

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

These screens are either vacuum sealed or are applied in a clean room. Simply cleaning the screen wouldn't do anything and would more than likely further the issue.

I had the same problem on two MacBook (Alu 2.4Ghz) and they gave me new computers.

5. mikalh78 thread starter macrumors regular

removing the glass on the macbook aint simple like the iMac. The iMac uses magnets where as on the macbook its held by duble sided tape and its a b***h to remove and may break while taking it off. i'll give apple a call tonite and see if i can get them to help me clean/repace my screen thanks!

6. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Returned two macbooks to the apple store within the 14 day period because of the dust problem. The third one was dust free. Now eight months later I have three dust specs under the glass. This tells me that the screen will eventually get dust under it. Hopefully, they will release the 13 in mpb in matte so I will not have to worry about these dust issues.

7. mikalh78 thread starter macrumors regular

i got my macbook last Oct nd when i look at it now, it looks like ive got dead pixels but in reality its dust. when i tried to clean the screen it seems like the dust would keep on comin back then i realized it was under the glass.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Take a close look around at the black bezel of the glass. The one "dust" speck I have is actually a tiny fleck of paint from the black area of the bezel. I noticed it because when I picked up my MacBook at a weird angle I was able to see the backlight shining through a very small "hole" in the bezel where a small chip of paint was missing.

Maybe you're issue is similar to what my MacBook did.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's not double sided tape. It's adhesive transfer tape.

Double sided tape is tape that is sticky on two sides. adhesive transfer tape is tape is tape that has sticky stuff that comes off the tape and sticks to whatever you apply it too.

I didn't understand the difference either at first.

My apartment is a ********, like anyone's who is trying to offer a value oriented service in an expensive city. If I can manage to get a proper seal on the glass without dirt & dust, anyone can. I have a dehumidifier that has a built in air filter I run all day, though.

Point being, don't pay $300 to have your glass replaced.

I am considering having a bezel made for these instead of the glass. The glass makes the screen look worse IMO, and it sure as **** isn't protecting the screen from damage.

However: between Cowon video players, gameboys, phones, etc, I have never owned a portable device with a barrier between the screen and me that didn't get crunk under it EVENTUALLY. That's just life, IMO.

10. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

Is there a clear cut way to detect dust under your screen? an angle to tip it, or something?

how do you prevent it when performing scheduled cleanings?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You'll notice it because it'll look like a dead pixel...but upon closer inspection, isn't.

I'm not sure how you clean your screen, but I just wipe mine down...that shouldn't cause any dust to get under the screen. Unfortunately during years of use, chances are something is going to make it under there at some point.

12. dinostars macrumors member

Why would you want to go out of your way to find a flaw with your machine?

13. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

ocd.

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Please.

These machines cost way more than anything else with the same specifications. You have to spend over 2K just to get an expresscard slot these days.

Any imperfection not fully resolved to my satisfaction would cause me to scream in the middle of the nearest Apple store until arrested. The price premium is there for a reason.