Dust under the glass and AppleCare!! Yahoo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tacomahunter, Feb 12, 2009.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

So I called apple care the other day and told them about the dust under my glass that has been driving me crazy (since I read about it of course).. They stated that if I bought the Apple care right then, they would be happy to send me out a replacement the next day for no charge. IF I did not have the apple care it would cost me $29.00. So bought the apple care, today I received a shiny new ( to me ) White 16gig, no scratches and new like the day I bought my first one.. LOVE the apple care!!!

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Cool, great to hear a good experience... I'm wondering if I will ever make use of my AppleCare on my iPhone 3G, no problems yet...

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya' TH, I had dust under my first one and in the crevices as well, with an uneven screen. Replaced a couple days after my purchase...

4. Tycsteel111 macrumors newbie

they made you buy apple care??? thats really weird i called not even 2 hours ago for the same reason and they asked if there was any physical damage and theres not they made me an appointment for saturday and they said ill get a new iphone then. i had dust under my screen too

5. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm also curious why by making you buy the applecare the issue would now be covered and not covered under the original warranty. Sounds like they they tricked you into buying the extended warranty when you didn't need it for the full replacement. Someone at Apple is saying "sucker".

6. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

They did not "force"me to do anything. As I live 300 miles from the closest Apple store, they only stated that IF I bought the apple care I would not have to pay the $29.00 to ship the unit back.... So the AC covered the shipping and got me a new 16g white the next day and now I have 537 days left of coverage. "Sucker" hmmm redefine this for everyone that has bought a AC.. BTW I also have it on my MBP.

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Applecare for a MBP or any other CPU is a no-brainer. Someone like myself which has 5 apple stores in a 10 mile radius, never would need AC for a phone. Especially since your covered for a year regardless and a new phone comes out every year. No point IMO. But for you that is 300 miles away from a store, it is a smart purchase. Glad you got a replacement.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Regardless... you have standard one year warranty which should cover any postage necessary to get you a fully functioning product.

9. derek320 macrumors member

Most standard warranties don't cover shipping, usually an extended one does such as Apple Care. Nowhere in the warranty does it say that Apple will pay shipping for their products.

10. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

11. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

So if there is visible dust under your screen and it's covered under the warranty AT&T will replace it for free?

I just noticed that I have some dust too!:mad:

12. BFrench macrumors newbie

We don't even have Apple Care for iPhone in Canada. Ask the Apple store staff and they have no clue as to why. I've never had a problem getting stuff replaced though, that's one thing for them: they do take care of their customers (my experience).

13. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Nope, I went to the At&t store that is across the street from my house (yes the one that I waited inline for 5 hours to get my phone) and they stated that it was a "apple" problem from the time that I walked out the door. I had to contact apple to get it replaced.

14. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

No, I had to send it back within 10 days or they would charge my CC for 499.99... Yikes!!!! Back in the mail the old one went today!!

15. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Good to know, I guess if I decide it becomes a big enough problem I'll get it replaced.

Or maybe I'll wait until 11 months comes around to get it replaced by then maybe they'll be a new iPhone:rolleyes::D

Good plan?

16. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Has anyone with an 8GB 3G iPhone done this since the 3GS release?

Since Apple's keeping the 8GB non-GS as an entry level phone I'm guessing that when I go in to get it fixed or replaced they'll just give me the same phone.

The dust is starting to drive me a little batty!

17. KSUWizard macrumors member

I went to the applestore about a month ago with my 8gb 3g with a dust problem. The genius told me that dust isn't a warrantable issue even though I have AppleCare. He did say that they will replace the screen once as a gesture of good faith but next time will be $200. I got a new screen with no dust and none has made it in since. Hope this helps.

18. Voski macrumors member

My screen had dust and I took it in and they just replaced the screen. A few days later it had dust again, but this time I could push the glass down and notice that it would go down below the bezel and if I pushed hard enough I could cause the LCD to give weird colors. I made an appointment to take it in but I dropped the phone so I didn't go because I thought they would blame everything on the fall.

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It probably has to do with something in Apple's warranty wording. Canada is very particular on that. It's like the whole "free" definition for Canada. You can't pay anything (and get a rebate or such) and be allowed to call it free. It has to be outright completely without cost.

It's possible there's a legal issue with the way an AppleCare is applied. Apple defines the "support" Applecare benefits applying after 90 days but the hardware after one year. Apple's wording from the iPhone AppleCare page is

There's probably something hung up in the 1 year 'extension' for hardware and the 1 year and 9 months for support. After all, the original poster says that purchasing AppleCare circumvented paying for the return of the phone if he hadn't bought it. If it's an 'extension' then then there shouldn't be a difference in coverages, just making them longer. This is probably what fails under Canadian law. All things are not equal.

20. army91c macrumors 6502a

My wife's 3g has dust under the screen and her one year is about to be up.... made an apt for tmr to take it in and swap it out. ;)

21. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Post back and let us know what happens!!

22. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This does help to know the current attitude from Apple concerning dust for sure. I still haven't decided to take mine in yet. Thanks for the info.