Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Germwise

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
So I bought my mbp about a month ago and I've been taking care of it as if it was my newborn.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration but I do carry my ipod cleaning cloth with me and I am constantly wiping off smudges on the body and screen. I've started to notice some spots that I can't clean off the screen.

It seems like dust is getting under the screen. This is the same thing that happened to my ipod touch and now there is lots of dust under the screen.

Is this a common occurence? At what point should I go ask for a replacement?

--Marcelo

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Is this a common occurence? At what point should I go ask for a replacement?

I am not sure how common the occurrence is, but if it is happening to you repeatedly, it could have more to do with your environment (dusty) than the actual Mac or iPod. Regardless, I doubt you would get a replacement for a dusty screen... but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I got two uMB replacements because of dust. It means that the screen is not sealed properly and more with accumulate.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
I got two uMB replacements because of dust. It means that the screen is not sealed properly and more with accumulate.

Pellets - do you mean replacement screens or replacement whole machines? I have an appointment at an Apple shop tomorrow for dust behind the screen (now 5 specs - it has grown from 1). I wouldn't mind a replacement machine but just wanted to check why they would do this - is it because the fix is so expensive?
Thanks

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Any updates? I have the same problem.

Just as a unpdate from me I had mine replaced because of dust behind the screen and various other problems - replaced SuperDrive, keyboard needing replaced. Went from a 2.4 to 2.66 and paid the £99 difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.