Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vikash

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Sitting in the train, watching heroes I noticed some white specks. Frightened as I was for deadpixels I started to examine the screen. However I noticed the specks where also visible when the device is shut down...

So is this dust which has found it way inside my touch? Cause deadpixels aren't seeable when the screen is turned off right?

Vikash

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Pictures of the dust would help.

It's entirely possible as well.

Well the dust is really small, so it's hard to photograph. But wouldn't the fact that it also is see-able when the screen is turned off, say it aren't dead pixels?

Apple would fix it right?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Dust under the screen is a manufacturing defect that Apple would fix. You're correct that it would be best visible when the screen is turned off.

Vikash

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Could also theoretically be small chips/scratches in the glass., though it would be hard to say without seeing it.

Tried to photograph it but it won't work. It looks exactly like a little dusty on the top of the screen (as big as a pixel) but it seems to be underneath the glass and on top of the screen. You won't notice it normally but when the sun shines on it you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.