Dust

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aslam786, Jan 27, 2012.

1. aslam786 macrumors newbie

How big is this dust issue with imac 2011?? Many people who has expirienced this? Is it really whort being imac when there are so many problems? Heat,dust,hardeate u name it! I have and imac 2011 but im in this dilemma wheter to keep it or give it back and by an pc or laptop.... Any sugestion?

2. Lucianrider macrumors member

My wifes 24" 2009 iMac lives in a very dusty environment (office with open windows in a hot Caribbean island) and when I opened it up to change the hard drive last year (upgrading from 500 megs to 1 TB) the dust was not all that bad. I was very surprised. I blew out what dust accumulation there was with an air compressor and its been fine.

I got a 21.5" 2011 iMac for myself and won't be worrying about dust for the time being. I will probably pull off the memory cover every now and then as I understand dust can accumulate on this as the fans draw air up and through the perforations. This will probably give you some idea as to whether dust might be accumulating inside the unit.

I don't see why there should be much difference between the models when it comes to dust collection...

3. davys macrumors regular

You lucky, lucky man...:D

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There is no real dust issue with iMacs. All computers draw air into the casework to aid cooling of the internal components. If the machine is located in a dusty environment, dust is certain to be drawn in.

Those who make a fuss about dust are usually kids who have their machines located in their bedrooms - possibly the dustiest room in the house! :)