dusty macbook fan, now clean.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thr33face, Apr 20, 2009.

1. thr33face macrumors 6502

today i finally decided to clean my white macbook on the inside for the first time ever.
    it is a rev.a machine, which basically means it is almost 3 years old. but since apple replaced the logicboard (when the random-shutdown issue was around, before they knew the cause) i'd say it had time for about 2.5 years to get dusty ;)

i did it because i was annoyed how when the machine got hot the fan kicked in (like it's supposed to) but the temperatures dropped like only super-slowly, which meant that the fan was constantly spinning at high-speed => annoying.

i've been planning on cleaning it for about 4 months now, but i: pick one: was too lazy, had no time, liked the warm macbook in the cold winter ;)

anyway:
    taking the macbook apart was super easy, even with a flathead screw-driver :). the ifixit guide helped a lot to get in quickly.
    only the right side of the keyboard took some fiddling to get off.

approx. times:
    disassembly: 25mins (keyboard fiddling)
    cleaning: 35mins
    re-assembly: 10mins

some dusty impressions:
    [​IMG]
    this is the underside of the keyboard. one can clearly see where the fan was and where the hot and dusty parts are. this came off easily with a micro-fibre cloth.

[​IMG]
    a "little" dust here :eek:. that thing under the fan definitely shouldn't be there. one should only see nice copper fins there.

and clean enough:
    [​IMG]
    after some time cleaning it with cotton-swabs, toothpicks (yes :D), and a lot of air i consider it to be reasonably clean.
    btw: does anybody else have a "better" sticker on the ram slot? does this indicate the logic-board replacement?

now when the fan kicks in it actually lowers the temperature and also spins down again. :D

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Great write-up! It's crazy how much dust was in there. I'll probably do this to my MacBook for its first birthday.

3. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

i will probably have to do this also . my house is an old farm house so everything gets coated in dust in about a day.

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Great job and great pics. Your machine is squeaky clean now!

5. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Wow! nice wright up! Really enjoyed the pics of looking how dusty it got!

*bookmarked*

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Great pics. Enjoyed the read and thanks for the info.

7. thr33face thread starter macrumors 6502

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

On the Core Duo MacBooks the "better" sticker means it is a 2GHz board.....

The 1.83 MacBook has a "Good" sticker and the BlackBook sticker is "Best"....

They came out of the factory with the stickers on, so your "old" logicboard would have had a "Better" sticker too - so it does not represent a logicboard replacement !!

9. thr33face thread starter macrumors 6502