Dusty Speakers on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbomber, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Hey, has anyone else noticed a lot of dust coming up through the speaker holes in the new macbook pros? Mine's about 3 days old and the speakers look really dirty.

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

are you looking at the speakers straight on ? or from an angle...

... there are soo many holes, soo close together, and they are so tiny that there is visual trickery going on that makes them almost look "smeary?" when you dont look at them directly from above. Is this what you notice?

3. jumplittlechloe macrumors member

My speakers are similar as well. When I look at mine in direct lighting I can see what I would describe as watermarks on the aluminum. I just guess that is the after effect of the laser process to make the holes. I have seen it in other pics on the web as well on the new MBP's.

4. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

5. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

I'm looking at them from the normal angle you would while working. It's not an illusion tho. The dust is light-colored not dark. Rubbing my finger over the speakers show's that there's something there....

6. jumplittlechloe macrumors member

7. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

8. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

i think it's some kind of residue left over from the manufacturing process that's been sitting in the tiny holes....

must get rid of it...

my OCD is flaring up. :)

9. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

It's there on the old MBPs too and annoys the hell out of me. I even tried vaccuuming the speaker grilles :D. It helped a bit.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yeah I have OCD as well :p

One of the few things I don't like about the new MBP, old MBP, or Powerbooks is the placement of the speaker grills. I prefer the "screen reflect" style of the Macbooks. I am just glad they used computer guided lasers. if not, I think I would go nuts looking at misaligned holes! ;)

[​IMG]

11. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

for some reason im thinking that this 'dust' isnt from dust
    maybe its the way the holes got cut which is creating that weird reflection. plus, most of us has not had our laptops for very long so im pretty sure the dust wouldnt have gotten on that fast

12. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

well, I'm thinking the dust came from inside the machine. I didn't see any until i actually turned on the speakers for a sec. Whatever it is, it's real and it's not an optical illusion.

13. Simon Young macrumors member

I have this too. At first I thought it was just mine because I didn't notice it on the MBPs in the Apple Store, but I guess a lot of them have it. Maybe all.

14. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it's Chinese Death Dust. pack up your mbp's and send them to me asap. i will handle it.:cool:

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i think its the fans sucking in air from the top and it filters the dust on the speaker grille, its the same on my hp

17. seriouscolor macrumors newbie

I have also noticed this "problem" in my new MBP. I've had it for 3 days and it's quite evident when you are working next to a window, especially when you are in a room with only natural light.

I have taken a few pictures which show this well. I took them without flash so they are a bit dark...

I wonder if anyone has had any success in removing this from the grilles? I've seen somewhere that white Scotch tape might do it but I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone heard any official word from Apple or from a technical representative at any Apple Store?

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I had it too, i used a fuzzy kind of sewing thread, like wool and used that to clean the holes, then after i vacuumed them, its a residue left over from the manurfacturing process, to be honest, i doubt 3 days could make that much dust! unless your very untidy or shed like a snake!:D

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I have that, except where the speakers are under.

20. seriouscolor macrumors newbie

It seems that it is affecting all units. I went to an Apple retailer today and all the units there had the same problem. Could that white protection sheet that comes with new units be in any way responsible? :rolleyes: