Duty Belt Case for iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by CJPrinter, Dec 23, 2011.

1. CJPrinter, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

CJPrinter macrumors newbie

I've been looking for weeks for something fairly specific. I'd like a pouch that will fit on a duty belt that's rugged but looks nice with more formal dress also. I don't really want to cover my phone up with a plastic case, but if I do, it'll be something clear or complementary to the phone. So far I've found these:

[​IMG]
    Bianchi Model 7937 (Not real leather and I can't find a picture of the belt clip anywhere.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Camalen Equator (Looks nice but doesn't seem like it would be very rugged AND it's got a magnetic flap, which I'm not crazy about.)

[​IMG]
    Sena Bumper Wallet (It looks like it would have the same issues as the Camalen.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Col. Littleton No. 47 Phone Holster (I like the look of this one, but its big and doesn't appear to offer much in the way of protection plus its $EXPENSIVE$.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wilderness Tactical Products, Standard Smartphone Case (Looks rugged and I like infinite the belt attachment options, but it's not too attractive visually.)

This is the sort of belt clip I'd really prefer:
    [​IMG]

If the Bianchi Model 7937 had the clip like the gun holster above, a Velcro flap and were made out of leather like the Col. Littleton No. 47, it'd be perfect, but I haven't been able to find anything close to that combination. Any ideas?

2. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

I got one from Maxpedition along with a Magpul Field Case. Here's some pictures..

The Model for the holster is "0109B". Just do a google search for Maxpedition 0109B

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CJPrinter thread starter macrumors newbie

blkonblk17, your setup looks nice on a nylon belt, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I'd prefer smooth leather, so it can go with everything I wear. Also, one of the things I do really like about all the ones I posted is that when the phone is in the belt pouch it's completely protected, so I could put my naked phone in it if I want.

With all the duty gear manufacturers out there, it's hard to believe that no one makes a leather iPhone pouch. So far everywhere I've looked I've struck out.:confused:

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

http://tuff-as-nuts.com/

Nutshell make great cases. Close as I can find to an Indiana Jones iPhone case, good leather and strong clip, really plain and tough.

5. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

I have the Seidio Active holster combined with the Otterbox Commuter Series. Works well on my duty belt. I try to leave it clipped to my gear bag while in the squad car/on duty in general, though. I've been in 2 altercations lately where the phone fell off my belt. I have been curious about that Bianchi holster. I have all Bianchi AccuMold Elite basket weave gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CJPrinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Fry-man22, the nutshells are the closest thing I've seen yet. Thanks! My only concern would be that top inch or so that's unprotected, but it doesn't look like it's so bad on the full flap version.

HKUSP.40, I don't really want plastic, but I would be interested in knowing how well the Bianchi AccuMold wears compared to leather? Being vinyl, I'd be concerned about cracking & peeling over time does it? Also, do you know if the belt clips are interchangeable? If the one that comes with it sucks, it would be nice to know it's upgradable...

7. ScottS4UofA macrumors member

I just ordered the Lifeproof case and clips. The clips are heavy duty and there are even 2 in the package. The larger is for the 2" duty belts that we wear here at the Fire Station. Nice and rugged in my opinion.

8. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Way better than leather! I've had mine for over 3 years now and it still looks great. Never need polishing. The belt buckle is very nice, I'm still running the original one. It is interchangeable if you need to replace it. I'm very impressed with it.

9. CJPrinter, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

CJPrinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Well HKUSP.40, the price on the Bianchi 7937 is certainly right at $21.99 on Amazon. Also I was FINALLY able to find a picture of the clip:
    [​IMG]
    It looks pretty stout & if it's really only attached with Allan screws, it should be easy enough to replace if it were to break.

If it's between the Nutshell and the Bianchi, I'm inclined to go with the Bianchi, given the fact that I can buy two of them for the price of one Nutshell. This one is certainly moving to the head of the line fast. :)

10. CJPrinter thread starter macrumors newbie

ScottS4UofA, I actually physically looked at the LifeProof cases & like the idea of them being waterproof, but I'm just not all that impressed with the design. If they made a clear version, or something that didn't cover up the style of the phone itself, I'd probably like it better. The same goes for the OtterBox & most other rugged cases.

I'm not really prone to dropping my phone, this is my 4th iPhone & I've never even had a close call. My only concern is the last 3 got a little banged up while they were on my hip. That's why I'm looking for a pouch that offers good protection. I'd like it to be functional & good looking, for casual & dress. ;)

11. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I use the Desmay case ro protect the phone from scratches and not much else:

www.desmay.com

I carry it around in one of 2 cases, both from NiteIze:

The Black Leather one that uses the magnet enclosure:

http://www.niteize.com/collections/executive-series/products/executive-series-horizontal

And a ballistic nylon with really good velcro:

http://www.niteize.com/collections/rugged-phone-cases/products/clip-case-sideways

Also a velcro brown leather version:

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-ize-Clip-Case-Sideways-Espresso/dp/B004S7EG3I

And some verticle styles as well.....

12. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

I looked into those from NiteIze. Which size would fit the iPhone with Otterbox Commuter case?

13. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I tried on the Commuter case in it and it was WAY too snug. I would probably look for a Seidio Holster for your setup.

14. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

What size do you have? They make 3 sizes (S,M,L).

15. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

The website shows these dimensions which apply to all of them.....

Small: 4" x 2" x 1"
    Medium: 4.5" x 2.5" x 1"
    Large: 5.5" x 3" x 1.7"

I have the medium which fits the iphone with Desmay perfectly. The Otterbox commuter was tight. I would think you would get a good fit with the commuter in the large.

16. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Good deal, I might have to give that a try. I also noticed this one that looked great:
    [​IMG]

However the belt clip, for whatever reason, is fixed. So if you wanted to wear it horizontally (which I prefer), you cant.

17. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

A little off topic...but I'm giving the Magpul Field Case a try. It's a little slimmer than the OB Commuter (but also a little less protection). Fit and finish is great and the feel is nice. It fits in the same Seidio Holster I was using for my OB.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

18. CJPrinter thread starter macrumors newbie

And the final decision is…

I went with the Bianchi. It's MUCH nicer than it looks in the tiny little pictures online. The front and back have hard formed plastic between a padded interior and the faux leather exterior, making it vary solid. Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was leather!

As for the clip, it appears to be pretty well made. It will pop open, so it can be removed without undoing your belt or you can simply slide it on. Also, it's got screws that allow you to replace it with any other Safariland clip.

The pouch is about 1/4 inch wider than my iPhone and it's bonded edges are about 3/16 inch thick. That, along with the hard front & back protect my phone quite well. There is also pleanty of room if i were to decide to add pretty much any standard case on the phone. (not an otter box or equivalent, but…)

I've taken to dropping the phone into the pouch power button end first with the screen facing in because the act of closing the flap wants to press the button. This was actually very easy to adjust to & has had no impact on my usage.

If I had any complaints, I would have to say its a bit bulky and sets a bit higher on my belt than I would have designed, but these are minor & I'm quite happy with my decision. :)

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

20. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Highly recommend maxpedition gear. Great stuff with a stellar warranty.

I use the Otterbox Defender on my phone... But it doesn't fit your OP criteria.

21. pbrogrom macrumors newbie

I've been searching for a wallet case for my father for his upcoming birthday. The Sena case looks like the one I've been looking for that will suit my dad. Anyone using one?