Duty Fees / Taxes at border

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 16, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I'm going to North Dakota tomorrow to bring back a Zune HD I live in Canada so I was wondering will I have to pay taxes/ duty fees?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Only of the Zune sniffing dogs find you. :D

Question: what if it breaks once you're back home?

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Good Question I would have to drive back lol. And theres a Zune sniffing dog?

4. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Nah, they don't care about small/inexpensive stuff. To the poster who mentioned about it breaking.. well I'm sure the warranty is applicable globally, and it would cover it.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

If the device is not available in Canada, direct, locally represented service would be an issue. Of course you can always pop it into a shipping box, but I prefer a local outlet which has a counter you can reach over.

Your choice. :)

But a cross-border spot inspection that reveals boxes and receipts for electronic goods will usually end up costing you. ;)

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. Apparently the iPod sniffing dogs aren't capable of being trained to sniff out more than one type of media player, so they had to train other dogs to sniff out the new Zune.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Cool! What do they look like so I can watch out for them?

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

At a minimum, it should cost you the GST. I don't think there would be duty, but that is just a guess. Having lived in a border town for many years the common experience was:
    1) Never lie to the border officials. They are trained to detect lies. If you get caught in a lie the consequences are usually serious enough to make you wish you hadn't lied.
    2) Never volunteer information. Answer the question, and nothing else. If they want to know more, they will ask.
    3) Keep your answers minimalist. For e.g. When you are asked what you are bringing back, declare the MP3 player. If they want to believe its a cheap version, then don't enlighten them. If they want more details, then you can mention its a Zune.
    4) They probably don't want to do the paperwork either. If you tell them up front what it is, they have no choice - its the rules. If they want to get to coffee early, then they can choose to leave it at "MP3" player. If they want to follow the rules, then they will ask more questions and you'll be OK because you did declare it.

People who brag about what they smuggled across the border are playing with fire. Once you are caught, your name is often flagged for future searches.

I knew a fellow who bought a very small portable TV, when portable TVs were still rare, and put it in the engine compartment when he crossed back from Buffalo. The agent asked what he had to declare, and my friend answered that he had a TV duct-taped to the inside of the hood. The agent thought he was joking, and passed him through. If he had looked, my friend would have been perfectly fine, and would have explained he was worried that someone might have broken into his car so he was hiding it.

Good Luck.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Santa's little helper

Attached Files:

10. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

They're probably trained to sniff out a combination of: Starbucks, BC Bud, and burning electronics. :D

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Kinda like this dog, except less cartoonish:

[​IMG]

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Just ditch the box at the mall before you cross back over the border. Or, if you really want the box that badly, go to a post-office and mail the empty box to yourself before you leave the US.

Put the Zune HD in your pocket, and if they ask, tell them you had it before you crossed into the US.

I bought my MacBook in Buffalo, NY while I was still living in Toronto. I ditched the box, put the MacBook into the laptop bag I brought with, and that was that. I saved around $300-400 because I bought it in the US because of the tax-savings and on the exchange rate (at the time, the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar).

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Toss the box and mail the receipt back home.

If your car has an AUX input, hook the Zune up to it and they'll be none the wiser, you wouldn't be the first person crossing the border with a media player connected to their car stereo.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Last time I brought back an iPod from Canada, the damn thing only displayed Canadian language. So much for saving a few bucks.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Music, eh?
    Video, eh?
    Photos, eh?
    Podcasts, eh?
    Extras, eh?
    Shuffle songs, eh?
    Settings, eh?
    Aboot, eh?
    Now Playing, eh?

I also hear Canadian iPods refuse to play anything besides Celine Dion and The Tragically Hip.

16. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I've heard they also give better and more accurate directions to the nearest Timmy Ho's than even Google Maps. :D

17. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

That's easy. Just look for the line-up at the busy shop across the street from the Starbucks.

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, it's under a secret menu named "Take off!".

Aaaand, I now have that song stuck in my head.

Nah, the newer models also have Rush and the Barenaked Ladies. Too many suicides after listening to all that Celine Dion.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

i think it's a matter of sales taxes and not import duties that they're apt to want to collect

20. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

QFT. My mother-in-law passed away last spring. Two weeks ago a Purolater delivery guy knock on my door, with a package and a customs bill for $15. It's for my wife, who is at the office, so I pay for it, assuming it's something she's bought from LL Bean, et al.

No.

A friend of hers in New Brunswick, just hearing about my M-I-L's death, orders a bereavement basket online from an American firm, consisting of a book on personal loss and a scented candle. Has it directly shipped to us in Ontario.

It's a sweet gesture, but I was still on the hook for the PST and GST.

Death and taxes, my friends. Death and taxes.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Whats the chances of getting inspected? Just put it in your glovebox.