Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Hi,i got this canon dv cam.I had capture my holidays trip @ Japan and i wanted to burn into DVD.How do i go about to transfer the clips from the tape into my macbook?I had plug the wire to my mac but it seems like nothing had been detech.Was there any software inbuild in the MB for me to transfer the clips?Please advise.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I'm guessing that you might be trying to use the USB port. The USB port when offered on DV cameras are for transferring stills or using as a webcam. You must use the firewire port, typically connecting a 4 pin on the camera to the six pin on your macbook. Then open iMovie, and import the clips.

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
I'm guessing that you might be trying to use the USB port. The USB port when offered on DV cameras are for transferring stills or using as a webcam. You must use the firewire port, typically connecting a 4 pin on the camera to the six pin on your macbook. Then open iMovie, and import the clips.

I did attach the wire to the port next to the 2 usb port.but when i open up the imoviehd,i dun't know how to import the clips.can u advise me please as i'm new to this.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Thats a Firewire cable? Right?

Start your camera in Playback mode and open iMovie, you should then be able to record from your camera into iMovie, as long as its a firewire cable your using, not USB

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Thats a Firewire cable? Right?

Start your camera in Playback mode and open iMovie, you should then be able to record from your camera into iMovie, as long as its a firewire cable your using, not USB

yes.that is a firewall cable.i will try the way u advise.and also thanks for yr advise.:)

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
yes.that is a firewall cable.i will try the way u advise.and also thanks for yr advise.:)

by the way,for the imovie that come with the MB,do i need o register it or it's already a full version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.