DV capture without 'babysitting'

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HooRide, Jun 12, 2012.

1. HooRide macrumors newbie

I have 30 or so 8mm Hi-8 and Digital-8 cassettes that I can play in a Digital-8 'handycam'. They are unlabeled and sometimes mix analog and digital-8 on the same cassette, sometimes without breaks or gaps between. This seems to confuse iMovie and QT7 when importing resulting in the capture process being halted with errors or prematurely.

I'm looking for an app that is as 'dumb' as possible. I want to be able to hit play on the camcorder and record on whatever app and just end up with a 1 1/2 hour .dv file even if there are 30 minute empty gaps in it.

Any suggestions?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It might be the camera not the computer. If the camera has to process the analog and digital recordings differently then that could cause a momentary disruption of the signal which leads to the software glitching.

Are you capturing via FW? Capturing via FW is basically doing a file transfer from the camera to the computer as opposed to the computer recording the signal from the tape. It's a much different process that being a 'dumb' recorder.

Lethal