DV connection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PredDawg8, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. PredDawg8 macrumors newbie

    Feb 16, 2005
    I'm about to buy my first Mac computer, a Powerbook.

    I want to make sure I can transfer video from my digital camcorder to my computer. My instruction guide says my computer needs a DV connector.

    The 15-inch PowerBook has a DVI & S-Video out. The 17-inch PowerBook has that and a Dual link DVI. But I don't know if either of those are sufficient. Seems like I would need a DVI in, not a DVI out. Or if DV and DVI are two different things...

    I just really don't have a clue. Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about and if so, can you help me?

  2. tdhurst macrumors 601


    Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ

    It's called Firewire, man. You will need what is called a 4 pin to 6pin firewire cord. The smaller side goes into the dv camcorder, the larger into the powerbook. The four pin side is also called dv or mini firewire.
  3. PredDawg8 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 16, 2005
    Heh, I wondered for a brief moment if Firewire was related, but then dismissed it. A five-second Google search would've answered that query. I feel very ignorant.

    Thanks for the help!

Share This Page