DV-out?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dannnyh, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dannnyh macrumors regular

Looking at the specs of various budget camcorders. Most of them say they have a USB connection, then a few have DV-Out. Is DV-Out the same as Firewire?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Usually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire#DV

But I woudn't count on it... check the tech specs and see if they also call it 4 (or even 6) pin IEEE1394 in small print somewhere. :)

FireWire is only Apple's branding, just as Sony uses i.Link, so that may wary... IEEE1394 is constant... ;)

3. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, you're going to want to see if it is 4 pin. If it is then you have firewire and are good to go. I wouldnt mess with anything else.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Firewire = iLink, IEEE1394, DV

Not to be confused with DVI though!

-DH

5. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Hey, DV out just means that that's the exit in wich you plug a cable to tranfer images to your computer. The camera ususally comes with a USB cable to transfer, but you can just buy the Firewire if you want to transfer faster.
    It's usually a 4pin firewire you need.
    Greetz

6. gabrules macrumors newbie

Ya they seem to be making the basic cameras with firewire these days. Usually Dv out refers to firewire but not always make sure to check the camera on display before buying it. I wouldnt suggest buying cameras at the big box stores like futureshop because most of the salesmen don't really know much about the products, there are some exceptions but its better not to take the chance. Go to a camera shop they know theyre stuff and sometimes you can get some good deals
    Gabriel
    Video Express
    http://www.videoexpressmontreal.com