Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loneshark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
florida
hello, I am looking for a switch box to plug 2 cameras into, using 6 pin firewire cables, then from the switch box to the computer.

I am starting a live internet streaming show and need to switch between cameras on the fly, without the computer "seeing" that there was a switch so it doesnt drop the connection.

I have found a few 1394 switchers, but they are in the 1000 to 6000 dollar range, that seems ridiculous.

I have found that the box needs to be "syncronous" so that it can flip between the inputs and not drop the connection.

need some help !

loneshark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
florida
well yes maybe that would work, but Im using a macbook pro, with only 1 6pin dv input,

and

Im dedicated to ustream.tv as they are promoting me, and I dont think they support this app.

so my only resort is a switchbox.

Dr. Rengers

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
The Netherlands
It allows you to hook up multiple firewire devices (cameras). I don't know if apps like Wirecast support ustream.tv

If you really need a hardware solution, you could always hire one.

loneshark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
florida
well im in jacksonville florida, and there is no video rental places anywhere ! and im on a tight budget and would rather invest in buying something.

im thinkin more along the lines of an analog AV mixer that is capable of plugging into the computer via USB or DV.

any suggestions there ?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Here's what I do for multi-camera, live mixed shoots:

• Connect all cameras to the switcher via analog (I use a Sony DFS-300 or a Panasonic WJ-MX50).

• Connect the analog output of the switcher to a VTR (I use Sony DSR-20 DVCam VTRs)

• Connect all audio sources to an audio mixer (I use a Mackie 1402VLZ or 1604VLZ).

• Connect the audio mixer's output the the VTR.

• Connect the VTR's Firewire port to your Mac.

• In FCP, set device control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now.

I strongly recommend rolling tape in ALL camera as well as in the VTR as a backup. Live captures can go bad. Also it helps to use a desktop tower Mac (G4, G5 or MacPro) with additional internal hard drive(s) for capturing. That helps eliminate any issues with sharing a Firewire bus among multiple FW devices.

-DH

ps: there should be a pro video rental outlet in your area. Most cities of that size have two or three.

loneshark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
florida
Here's what I do for multi-camera, live mixed shoots:

• Connect all cameras to the switcher via analog (I use a Sony DFS-300 or a Panasonic WJ-MX50).

• Connect the analog output of the switcher to a VTR (I use Sony DSR-20 DVCam VTRs)

• Connect all audio sources to an audio mixer (I use a Mackie 1402VLZ or 1604VLZ).

• Connect the audio mixer's output the the VTR.

• Connect the VTR's Firewire port to your Mac.

• In FCP, set device control to "Non-Controllable Device" and use Capture Now.

I strongly recommend rolling tape in ALL camera as well as in the VTR as a backup. Live captures can go bad. Also it helps to use a desktop tower Mac (G4, G5 or MacPro) with additional internal hard drive(s) for capturing. That helps eliminate any issues with sharing a Firewire bus among multiple FW devices.

-DH

ps: there should be a pro video rental outlet in your area. Most cities of that size have two or three.

the sony dfs goes for 1600, holy budget crisis batman
the Panasonic WJ-MX50 goes for 1345
the DSR-20 DVCam for about 1200
the Mackie 1402VLZ for 450

i have no sponsors other than my wallet and i really think there could be an easier workaround for a 2 camera setup

Im using a rev. A macbook pro. the hardrive only spins to 5400 RPM, so FCP does not like this at all. I have read that FCP needs at least a 7200 RPM drive to capture, so my workaround for this issue was using iMovie, to log and capture video from my Sony VX2100, then exporting in .dv, and importing the .dv file to FCP. nice workaround right ? I have no idea why FCP requires a 7200 RPM drive when iMovie can do it flawlessly.

DH, thank alot for your input, but your suggestions are for the subsidized professional. I am totally unsubsidized here, and am independent. theres gotta be a simpler way.

Trudd, thanks for the link, does that support multiple inputs to a Mac ? im still thinking analog AV mixer. but cant the analog AV mixer run to my 6pin firewire port ?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
i have no sponsors other than my wallet and i really think there could be an easier workaround for a 2 camera setup ...
your suggestions are for the subsidized professional. I am totally unsubsidized here, and am independent. theres gotta be a simpler way.

Video production isn't a cheap business to get in to ... and good video production cost even more. Relatively speaking the set ups I have would have cost thousands of dollars more just 20 years ago.

I'm totally unsubsidized, but I wanted to build my business to be a solid, high quality production company. The WJ-MX50 was just over $4K when I bought it new in '94. I bought the DFS-300 used for $1500.00 about 5 years ago (they sold for about $12K new) as I sometimes have to produce multiple shows in different locations at the same time. All the money I invest in equipment was money I earned from my video production business.

My point is if you're serious about making a quality production, you have to be willing and able to invest in the proper tools to do it, whether it be a purchase or rental.

If this is just a hobby, then perhaps you need to reevaluate your desire to do a live mixed shoot. Just shoot with multiple cameras and mix in post.

-DH

loneshark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
florida
all so true sir!

now a days video production equipment has become more readliy available and cheaper, I agree

with the onslaught of youtubers and video bloggers, we all want to be videographers

I have already spent 5 grand in camera, lens' and a macbook pro.

I just cant seem to make money with the video production ideas. I dont want to be a boring wedding videographer. I want to be able to film exciting things and get paid for it.

check my youtube page for some of my work. I have alwasy been an artist of sorts, and videography is just another media i have found to express my ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/loneshark2000

this was my very first final cut pro endevour. took me 13 hours from start to finish. learned the entire program in that time as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3walgM9Ff6I

those are my boys, Amber Rose

then i did something quick and dirty for my car club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE_bDY39OQ

then i got a client while i was out shooting Amber Rose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIB5DYXgac

then another quick fina lcut pro mix for Amber Rose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l20TQ1X_iA4

then i setup the fatal the maskman page and did some post

http://www.youtube.com/fatalthemaskman

then i setup the Amber Rose youtube page and streamed their show live and also mixed in post, compare the sound quality of the last song vice the first six, tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/amberroserocks

so I am dedicated, just cant find a way to make the money. I just cant charge these independent artists as they themselves dont make the money required to charge them properly.

If i had billed them for the work, I could have made thousands already.

so my next video en devour is a live streamed show. I have a host, a director and a writer all very siked up to work with me, and make this show happen, all i have to do is think logistics, the how if you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.