DV tape to iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011.

1. Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. simsaladimbamba

Connect the camera via appropriate Firewire cable to the Mac.
    [​IMG]
    Start iMovie and set the camera to VCR/PLAY.
    In iMovie go to File > Import from camera (CMD+I).
    Start capturing.

Maybe even the built-in help of iMovie can help or any of the dozens of guides out there, available via search.

3. Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011
  4. simsaladimbamba

Select the DV camera here:
    [​IMG]

Use MRoogle to search for threads about disabling the iSight.

Yes, no drivers are needed when connecting DV cameras via Firewire.

Get a 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable, they should cost less than 10€. There is no Firewire-to-USB converter that works with the DV stream.
    Btw, you don't get faster transfer speeds with a faster interface, as DV material is captured in realtime, unless you have the expensive hardware (video deck) to play back and capture the stream.

Are you sure? There are a variety of appropriate cables around.

[​IMG]

5. Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011
  6. simsaladimbamba

Nope, as Firewire uses a different protocol than USB, Firewire even has dedicated chip to it on the device with Firewire. USB goes via CPU.

Yes.

[/QUOTE]
    I can't read Japanese script and your Geocities page looks like a garbled mess to me.

Anyway, can you get the appropriate Firewire cable and do it that way?

7. Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011
  8. simsaladimbamba

That adapter will probably work, unless it is of abysmal quality.

And again, you need professional hardware to speed up tape based transfer of video.
    I had to digitise several thousand of DV and Digi Beta cassettes in the last three years, and it was always real time, as hardware capable of capturing tape at four times the speed of realtime playback is cost prohibitive for a medium production company. Broadcast networks can buy them, but as they hardly want to use tape anymore, they will most likely not buy such hardware.
    How many tapes do you have to digitise then?

9. Clytemnestra, May 16, 2011
  10. simsaladimbamba

I may have confused you with my explanation why a faster capturing of tape based footage is unfeasible for consumers.

Just get that adapter or the appropriate 4-pin to 9-pin cable, if your Mac doesn't have the port you have a Firewire cable for.

And I didn't suggest using a flash memory card or HDD based camcorder to capture the footage, as it is impossible, unless you use an analog video out connection from the DV camcorder to an almost non-existing analog video in with a card or HDD based camcorder.

Just get that adapter or cable or ask some of your friends in your area, if they have such cable.

Btw, I never asked and you never completely told us, but what exact iMac do you have and what Firewire ports does it have and what cable do you have available?