DV to new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac my day, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Mac my day macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any good suggestions for connecting a DV port of a camcorder to the new MacBook which lacks a firewire port?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is no real digital solution, unless you use an analog capture device like this Elgato product.

[​IMG]

3. Mac my day thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah so far that's the best solution I could come up with as well. I've also looked into a DV to USB cable but apparently these only work for windows and turn your data into MPEG-1 files which is a lessor quality. I not exactly sure about this information so if someone is able to clarify that would be great.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is no DV to USB cable, as DV is in this case just another term for Firewire, and USB + Firewire are not compatible, thus no "converter" cable exists. Most likely the camera also has a mini-USB port, thus it is able to stream bad quality video via USB.

In fewer words: there is nor Firewire (DV) to USB cable. To get DV quality, you need a Mac or Windows/Linux PC with a Firewire port.

mini-USB
    [​IMG]

Firewire 4-pin (DV, i.Link, IEEE 1394)
    [​IMG]

5. Mac my day thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps you should try googling DV to USB Cable. This cable is out there. However as far as I can ascertain it is not an appropriate solution as it doesn't keep DV quality as it puts out MPEG-1 format. The Camera only has a DV output or a DV tape cassette hence the need for some way of connecting a DV port to the new MacBook which lacks a firewire port.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I found that "wonderful" cable.

If you want to keep the DV quality, you need a computer with a Firewire port or capture the video via other means (analog via Composite or Component or digital via SDI perhaps).

USB and Firewire are not the same, Firewire even has its own dedicated chip(set) on the computer and in the devices (HDD, camera, deck, ...), USB is only using the CPU. Both are different transport methods and not interchangeable, and the so-called "DV to USB" cables I found where more than suspicious.