DVCPro 50

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Jan 13, 2008.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi all,
    could you please help me? I'd need your video editing experience for configuring my new MP dual 2,8Ghz+4 SATA 7200rpm+ 8Gb Ram and the Ati card basically, for an DVCPro 50 editions.
    I'm new on video, but I'll work with music as well.

Thanks in advance.

WP

2. HDproducer macrumors member

What do you need help with? It sounds like you already have it configured.

3. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Hi there, thank you very much for answering.
    I'm a musician, and the machine should be pretty enough for my purposes... but as I've been asked for working with DVCPro editing, just want to be sure the machine will go on.
    I mean, my config with audio is 1st drive for OS and software, 2nd drive Samples, 3rd drive audio and the last hd just nothing. Can I use this last hd (500 Sata 3gb/s) as the video hard disk? I've heard about raid configurations, but no idea what it means.

Thanks in advance again.

WP

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Yes, put the video on that fourth hard disk. You most likely don't need a RAID setup.

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!
    Then, I've seen people speaking about faster Sata Hd's (10000rpm) or RAID setups... in what case should I use them (both faster and RADI)? I am able to change disk... so if you recommend me any brand or this is ok?

Thank you

WP

6. HDproducer macrumors member

If your just working with DVCPro 50 then the sata drive will be fine. You wont need anything faster unless your running a number of streams or start getting into HD. By then you could go with an esata raid. for now stick with your original plan.

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The new 1TB Samsung smokes the WD Raptors, so there's no real reason to go with the 10,000 rpm drives for that anymore (they're noisy and hot). If you're working with HD (heavy duty HD like DVCProHD, not HDV) or you're using more than 3 streams of DV50 at a time (as in layers of video), then you might consider a RAID. RAID's necessitate reliable backups though (safe to have more than one), so it is quite the investment.

8. HDproducer macrumors member

Hey Bigbossbmb,

I want to get a pair of 1TB drives to go with a new MP. I was thinking of setting them using software raid for speed, and then backing up to external drive. Do you have any opinion on just using disk utility for raid?

I did a search for the samsung drives but did not find much on them. Do you know of any reviews?

9. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'd like to have a look to those Samsung... could you please let us now the model, range, buffer, etc...
    What do you think about the Western Digital A/V range? seems they been designed specially for working with Audio and Video...

Regards,

WP