DVCPRO HD Issues with FCPX, QT X, Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robemich, Aug 20, 2011.

1. robemich macrumors member

I captured a bunch of footage on a Panasonic camera using DVCPRO HD. The files are in Quicktime format, and I can preview the files in the finder by hitting the space bar and viewing the video. If I try to view the files in Quicktime X, I do not get any video, just the timecode representing that playback is occurring. I can import these files into FCPX and I get a similar result. FCPX sees the media files in the Event, but the video is black. The time code represents playback, but I don't see any video.

It's odd because I can open these files in MPEG Streamclip, and it plays the video correctly, and identifies the CODEC correctly as DVCPRO HD 720p/60. Quicktime and FCPX are unable to view the video.

Here's the stream info that MPEG Streamclip identifies with a sample clip:
    Duration: 0:23:13
    Data Size: 10.33 GB
    Bit Rate: 63.69 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    DVCPRO HD (720p60), 960 × 720, 29.97 fps, 57.54 Mbps

Audio Tracks:
    16-bit Little Endian mono, 48 kHz, 768 kbps

Stream Files:
    1-8.mov (10.33 GB)

I have installed the suplemental CODECS following the FCPX installation. I did update to 10.7.1. I don't know if that may have hurt me because I did not have access to these files prior to my update to 10.7.1. I have two machines are currently exhibiting this same issue. Any ideas?

-mike

2. Langdonboom macrumors newbie

The same basic thing is happening to me -- certain files which all seem to be DVCPRO HD only open in MPEG streamclip and actually show up in Final Cut Pro 7 but when I open them with quicktime, they're just audio files and a black screen.

This isn't really a problem as much as it is annoying and frustrating that this new 10.7 quicktime system is buggy for some reason. I've recently had some issues with Final Cut Pro but after trashing preferences and running Mac Keeper and Digital Rebellion's suite of maintenance programs its up and running again - but now this Quicktime issue. I can still edit the files but why is this happening??

Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of this!

3. hinju macrumors newbie

Quicktime 7

The same thing was happening to me. Then, when I tried to open an HD trailer from Yahoo Trailers, it said it could only open in Quicktime 7 and installed it for me. And Quicktime 7 plays dvcproHD files! I still have Quicktime 10 and its still the default for everything, but I can use 7 if I want too. Highly recommended.

-jeremy

4. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Sounds like you don't have QuickTime 7 installed. Download it from Apple and try again.