DVD/720p/1080p/.mkv videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ericksgotmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

I'm looking to get the full quality of some .mkv videos I have. I was looking into buying the WD TV HD thing but I just found out that the PS3 will be able to play all the 1080p videos just as well, as long as they are .mp4 with AAC audio. So here's my question-

"How can I convert all of my .mkv files, some of which have either AC3 audio or DTS audio into nearly the same EXACT quality in both video and sound?"

I've tried Handbrake, Visualhub, MKVextract, and iSkysoft Video converter. All of these programs have not met my needs. Handbrake won't work with DTS audio (or AC3 I can't recall), Visualhub won't work with AC3 audio, and iSkysoft Video converter won't convert them to full 1080p the highest settings I could find were 720. Does anyone know how I can achive my goal of total HD Heaven? =p

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

3. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

Like, oh em gee bro...That doesn't use OS X. I don't mind paying for a program to do what I want it to do. That tutorial seems like to much work with all the command lines and such. Is this the only way to do it?

4. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone please help me? I need to convert these to 1080p .mp4 playable in iTunes. Just another quick question what's the best resolution for a 15" Macbook Pro Unibody? I'm guessing 720p.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Why not forget about transcoding them and use Plex for your playback?

6. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Plex blows VLC out of the water. I play Blu-ray rips on my Mini with Plex. VLC chokes on those files.