DVD app dropping full screen when using other apps...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gjarold, Mar 27, 2009.

1. gjarold macrumors regular

Triple head system (a 2009 mac pro octo w/2 of the gt120 cards).

I put in a DVD and the dvd app starts automatically. So far so good.

Then I drag the movie window into another, empty screen. So far so good.

Then I make the movie window full-screen. So far so good.

Then I move my mouse back into a DIFFERENT screen and type something into the terminal APP.

At this point the dvd window reverts OUT of full screen. Even though I am not in that window, or interacting with that window in any way.

This is wrong. How do I make this incorrect behavior stop happening ?

Selecting the dvd apps "Viewer above other apps" does not change this incorrect, counter-intuitive, user-unfriendly behavior.

Thanks.

2. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

anyone ?

I would really like to know how to watch a dvd in full screen in one window while typing in another. Obviously there is a way, I just don't know it ...

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

"Remain in full screen when DVD Player is inactive" under Full Screen in DVD Player's Preferences :).

4. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much - this is exactly what I needed.

Interestingly, Safari does the same thing. If you pull up a youtube (or any other site) video and click the full screen icon, I can't click or switch to any other application on a different monitor ... it drops full screen.

I went through all of the preferences and do not see any applicable item.

This isn't an obscure use-case, by the way - anyone with multiple screens will attempt full-screen playback on one screen while working on another one. It's amazing that this behavior exists this many years into Leopard...