DVD Audio disc - rip to itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GilesM, Dec 24, 2009.

1. GilesM macrumors 6502

Is it possible to rip DVD Audio discs at 96 Khz's/24-bit 5.1 ch. in to iTunes?
    How would one do it with Handbrake perhaps?

2. cube macrumors G5

DVD Video encryption was broken just before DVD Audio was released, so they changed it in the latter to be different and stronger.

3. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, so, it's a o go then.
    This is a little annoying because both my SACD's and DVD Audio's can not be imported in to iTunes.

I guess I will have to use my PS3 instead.

Thanks anyway!

4. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

I use Audio Hijack Pro to import from DVD-A, though I convert to ALAC, which probably doesn't keep it in 96/24.

I don't know of a way to do this with SACD's, since AFAIK only a few Sony produced computers ever shipped with SACD drives...

Well, actually if you install Linux on your PS3 you might be able to rip your SACD's that way and copy them back to your computer. I'm sure there must be people who've tried it, a bit of research should quickly let you know if that's possible.

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I was able to do this using vmware and a couple of windows programs. I'm on vacation and away from my computer, but I think I used the free version of DVDFab to rip the disc, dvda decrypter to rip the tracks to mlp, and then eac3to to convert the mlp to flac. I then used XLD on osx to convert the flac to apple lossless (it can convert to aac as well).

The only gotcha i've found is that iTunes doesn't seem to like multichannel (5.1) apple lossless files, but the stereo ones play fine on all my devices (appletv, iPhone, mac).

6. GilesM thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, my PS3 is one of the models that does not play SACD, so that's a non starter.

From what I read on the internet, there are internet download services producing 96/24 FLAC files for download.
    I think I will investigate these instead and keep the DVDA and SACD just as occasionally played discs.

Anyway, now I have had some time over the break I have established that the DAC in the ipod classic/ipod dock produces quite a poor sound, so I am going to have to look at this issue first.
    The files are fine, it's just that when listened to via the ipod dock, the sound is well, to my ears, not very good.