DVD-Audio Ripping > ALAC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Icculus, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Icculus macrumors 6502

Hey guys been trying to figure this out on my own but not having much luck. I have this Talking Heads Box Set that has all the albums redone in DVD 5.1 Audio that I would love to rip to ALAC. What is the best program to do this? I have heard of everyone saying DVD-Audio Extractor beta 3, but I am not having any luck tracking this down. If anyone has any advice as to what program to use, or if this is just a bad idea as I am prone to have many I would appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

If i am not mistaken, the ALAC codec only allows for stereo audio in whatever quality you need. note the stereo spec. 5.1 is 6 channels of sound.

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about multichannel support in ALAC, but Audio Hijack Pro can convert DVD-Audio to a number of formats.

4. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

I boot into Windows for this and use DVD Decryptor. Note that you'll only be able to pass Stereo high-resolution audio over optical. Anything past DD and DTS requires HDMI.

Foobar2000 can also play and rip the DVD-A.

5. Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the info guys! Really appreciate it!!

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

handbrake eats just about any file or dvd, i'm puzzled why people don't know of it...
    handbrake.fr

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

we know of it here , it is just that it is more commonly suggested for dvd video and such. not for audio.