DVD-Audio to MP3 at 5.1?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
OK, I'm not sure where to post this question, so if this has to be moved, so be it.

Anyways, my question concerns ripping DVD-audio, but converting it to an MP3. Specifically, is there a way to convert 5.1 audio from a DVD into an MP3? I've ripped it, but every time I try to convert it to MP3, it pakes it 2.1, which defeats the purpose of getting the songs off of a DVD.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Is it even possible?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
yg17 said:
Im almost 100% certain 5.1 isnt possible in an MP3
I'm almost 100% certain you are correct. The MP3 folks are supposed to have a multi-channel update to MP3 coming, but I don't know how much interest it will receive, at this point.

Comment

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
livingfortoday said:
Dang, that sucks. Is there any audio format that supports 5.1 that I could play through iTunes?
According to Wikipedia, AAC will support Dolby 5.1 but whether iTunes and your Mac can handle it is another matter entirely... you may need an extra soundcard and maybe an iTunes plug-in, though I'm just guessing.

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
AAC can handle 5.1 and possibly Apple Lossless Encoding can handle it as well.
You do need 5.1 hardware on your Mac of course.

iTunes shouldn't have a problem with 5.1 since it shares AAC code with QuickTime.

Comment

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Bear said:
Remember the G5's have 5.1 hardware. And it sounds like the original posters problem was the MP3 conversion.
Yeah, I don't have a G5, just an old Ti PowerBook, so no 5.1 audio on this. Just trying to convert 5.1 audio files ripped from a DVD into something playable in iTunes.

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I'm so happy!!

I managed to convert a DVD-Audio to AC3 to wav to AAC!!!!!!!! It is 48.000 kHz and sounds ok...

is it 5.1? I also need to improve sound quality.

I love DVD audio and now that I know how to convert it (even though some quality was lost) means I will buy more DVD audio!

Can someone teach me (PM or post) how to rip it to AAC (on Windows) and not loose quality?

(I do: DVD-Audio -> RIP TO HD -> DVD2AVI -> AC3 -> WAV -> AAC)

Comment

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Neat Ill have to try that... i have an M-audio 5.1 card ... I fricken love it lol! DVDs are awesome to watch with it... and its cool to hear your instruments playing on separate speakers around you in Logic

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
How do you rip the DVD audio tracks in the first place? None of the DVD rippers I've tried want to read the .aob files.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.