dvd back up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by awylde, Feb 12, 2009.

1. awylde macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am backing up my DVD collection to an external hard disc. I am using MAC THE RIPPER 3.0-R14M and it has no problem with most of my DVDs, but it still has problems with disc that have ripguard and ARccOS. most of the time it will rip film only when it is ARccOS (but not always) but with ripguard it normally fails (crashes). I have tried Fairmount, wondershare DVD copy but to no avail. the main problem is that I need the French subtitles so film only is not much good.
    any help would much appreciated

many thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Try HandBrake if MacTheRipper isn't working.

You'll need to download VLC if you don't have it yet.

3. awylde thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    thanks for taking time to help. I am pretty new to this, so please bare with me. I have hand brake an VLC, but how do i create a back-up so i can burn to a dvd to play on my dvd player (mainly my childrens dvd as these get dameged so easily)
    sorry for my ignorance
    hope you can help

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I have read somewhere there is a legacy mode and a advanced mode in MTR. Tried that?

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I have the same question. Which setting or preset in handbrake do you use so that the file created can be burned with Toast or Burn without having to reauthor the file again. Or can this not be done with handbrake.

6. awylde thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have tried the advanced and legacy to rip full content and film only and MTR just crashes as before:(. I wondered if I had enough hard disc space but I think 500gb free space should be enough.
    I am using a ppc G5 2ghz with 2mb ram and a 1.5tb hard disc I also wandered if the internal DVD drive matters when ripping DVDs, I have a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-116D

again any help would be appreciated as this is getting frustrating and I have been trying for nearly 2 days as I am not sure what I am doing

7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

If you're just looking to backup the DVDs for playback on DVD players, the easiest (although more expensive) way is to just use Disk Utility to make an image of the DVD, then burn that to a DVD-R (either single or dual-layer, depending on the source).

If you want to use the cheaper single-layer DVD-R discs exclusively, you could invest in the DVD2One software, which shrinks dual-layer discs to fit within a single-layer DVD-R. I would try it out first to make sure it can decrypt and compress them properly, though.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One thought- have you ever taken a look at the MTR forums at www.ripdifferent.com (click the "Enter the Forums" link there)? I ask because in addition to the main MTR forum, there is one forum titled "Ripping Issues- Title Specific" which have a ton of useful info and solutions for the more difficult to back up movies. If you are having difficulties with a title other people will be too and there are some people who are wizards concerning using all the different capabilities of MTR to solve things.

Several other ripping programs have their own forums at ripdifferent as well so you can get a lot of information about them too.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Simply put, neither Disk Utility nor DVD2OneX have decryption capabilities so will not work on protected commercial disks by themselves to create a backup of a DVD you own. That's where MTR and other ripping programs come into play.

10. awylde thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    thanks again for all the info :)
    I tried ripit, wondershare, dvd-ripper but they all have the problem with children's DVDs. ripit works to the hard drive but will not burn with toast, it say's damaged file. I will have a look at the forum mentioned, to see if other people have had the same problem and if they have more solutions.
    again any other ideas more than welcome and again thank you for time and patience

11. TheZA macrumors regular

Sickmacdog has it right. Become familiar with the forums at ripdifferent.com.

MTR 14m will work on all but some of the latest DVDs. You can play around with Main Feature mode and Full Disk mode. Main Feature mode will default to the advanced engine, which removes zero cells (well, again, on all but some of the latest releases). Sometimes you need to figure out what title to use in Main Feature Mode, then you can play the DVD and look at what title is playing.

If it is a good clean MTR rip with zero cells, you can simply image the video_ts file and burn with Disk Utility or other programs (I use the freeware Simply Burns). To image, you can use the freeware DVD Imager.

Sometimes the disks are full of junk at the rip requires cleanup before imaging/burning. A lot of folks, including me, use DVD2OneX (AKA Detox). This is not freeware, although there is a free trial period. Personnally, I don't use Toast, so I'm no help there, but I can find I can do 99.9% of everything with MTR 14M, Detox, SimplyBurns, and DVD Imager. More recently I've been going to mp4, and for that there is Handbrake, which gets the last of the impossibles.

Some of the most recent difficult titles require some combination of Main Feature Rip, a specific MTR engine, a specific setting in DeTox. The title specific topic at ripdifferent.com can guide you. Some are using the combination of Fairmount (freeware) with Detox.

Oh, and Detox also burns, although when I use it I have it give me an image, and use Simply Burns to burn. The image files I save on an external hard drive, and I can then always just burn another DVD if I have to.

12. ztecz2012 macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I also recently upgraded to a new pioneer 116D Blk from a pioneer 112D. I am having the same problems about backing up my DVDs. This was not the case with my 112D so I am suspecting it has to do with the new drive. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do. I also use MTR and Ripit.