DVD backups !!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Reaver, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Reaver macrumors 6502

I am looking for a program that I can rip a dvd to am Image file and have that image file compressed from its original format of 7.9gig to say 4.5 or less.

I use to use DVDshrink on my windows machine and all I have found for ripping and archiving dvds for mac is handbrake and MacTheRipper

2. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I think probably the software you want is DVD Remaster. Normally it costs US$39.99, but this month it's free on the front of Macworld magazine. At least, it is here in the UK.

EDIT: checking the magazine, 4.5.1 is free, which is a version behind the current release. I've never used the software myself so have no firsthand experience, but it is implied that the main changes are to the user interface.

3. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

where is it?

I also need to lower mine, i have been struggling...

a movie on my pc with only the main feature, is showing as 3. gig where as on the mac using fairmount and macthe ripper shows as 4.07 gigs!!

i need them as low as possible!!

thanks!!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

You will not be able to compress the data by that much. There is software that will strip out the extras and re-encode the movie so that it will fit on a single layer DVD. Re-encoding is not the same as compressing. Also you will loose quality when you re-encode.

6. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

If file size is the issue, then you're probably better ditching the idea of making DVD images, and using Handbrake (which you already have) to re-encode the parts of the DVD that you actually want (ie, just the movie if you're anything like me) as H.264. It'll take forever and a day, but it'll certainly cut your file sizes.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly what i have done is just rip the DVD's to my MacBook and send them to my network. i did the DVD route for a while but got tired of losing data or losing the discs themselves. haha

i think it takes as much space to store 100 movies on DVD's than it does to store 500-800 movies on an External.

8. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I believe DVD2OneX does this. The new Toast might as well.

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I have Toast 9 Titanium and it has a little check box to fit a Video TS folder to a DVD; I used it last night and it seems to work fine.

My problem is I tried to use Mac The Ripper to rip/decode a DVD I just purchased (The Day the Earth Stood Still) so I could have a back-up copy to use (instead of the original disk) but the files created by MTR weren't recognized by Toast when I tried to drag them into the ap.

Files created by DVD Fab Decrypter (in XP) worked fine when I ran the program in Fusion then dragged the Video TS folder into Toast (on Mac) but I was hoping to have a totally Mac solution. Any ideas?

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Toast Titanium can do this. I ahve version 9, I think it works on 8 as well.

Mac The Ripper can rip copy protected DVDs.

12. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I'm not understanding why the Video TS folder created by MTR is not accepted by Toast 9 Titanium while the Video TS folder created by DVD Fab Decypter is; could it be that the outdated version of MTR creates files that are not decrypted?

13. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

doesn't toast include popcorn now ?

i used popcorn in the past and it worked really well

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Toast does everything Popcorn does, and more. Popcorn is like Windows Vista Basic, it gets the job done, but Vista Ultimate (Toast) has more features (and in Toast, they're actually useful.)

Drag Mac The Ripper's Video_TS folder onto the main window after selecting Video > Video_TS Folders. Click "Fit To DVD Compression" in the bottom left corner, and select DVD in the bottom right corner.