DVD Burn Verification Failure on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radellaf, May 5, 2008.

1. radellaf macrumors newbie

I've had a lot of DVD-R and DVD+R discs, sometimes 50% of a couple in one session, burn OK but fail verification. Anyone had this happen with a new Macbook?
    My 1st new macbook had other problems and Apple eventually replaced it with this one. First had a matsushita, new on has a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSAS10-N.
    That, and #3 below, make me think a hardware defect is unlikely.

Its a 2.4 GHz duo, osx 10.5.2. Been using the open source "OSX Burn" program, which is basically a front end for the OS burn routines. Data DVD, UDF format.

Things I've tried:
    1. Different type of DVDs. Verbatim DVD-R and DVD+R 16x certified discs. Occasional Staples brand DVD+R.
    Doesn't help.

2. Burning at 4x instead of 8x (only 2 choices I get). Does seem to help, but I'm posting today since I just had my 1st failure with 4x.

3. Restarting the computer before an 8x burn.
    So far, this has always worked, for several 8x burns in a row.

What could be happening as the computer runs other programs that would cause all the burn failures? There's 4GB of RAM, and the drive has under-run protection, so even _if_ the data stream was being slowed down I'd think things would go OK.

2. qwikrex macrumors member

Did you ever resolve your issue? This is happening to me as well on my new Aluminum macbook.