DVD Burner dying - generic replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rruss, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rruss macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G5 (Dual 2.0, powerpc).

The behavior of the superdrive is very strange. I seem to be able to burn DVDs very reliably (using Toast)... the burn verifies (which tells me it can read it). Unfortunately, when I try to mount the disc, most discs -R/+R media fails to mount. The drive will click and clack a bit, and then the drive ejects the disk.

I'm inclined to try a replacement drive... but I can't see paying double for generic optical disc technology just because it's sold with the "mac" compatible endorsement.

Any thoughts on using something like the LG - GH22NP20 (which is only about $22 and has all the features of a superdrive).

-Russ

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I agree with your note regarding the higher price for the Mac compatible drives, particularly since that normally only means that some lightweight software accompanies the drive that is Mac compatible, not that there is any difference in the drive mechanism itself.

While I have had no direct experience with LG drives myself, I have installed about 20 Pioneer 116 drives in various G4, G5 and Mac Pros with 100% satisfaction and they are not much more. Newegg.com has the appropriate IDE model here for $25.99 for example. Do make sure whatever drive you get it is an IDE version, not a SATA version. ;)

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

There is no such thing as "mac incompatible" optical drives. Just like HDD's, if the shoe fits, wear it.

You don't want any of the crappy, arbitrary software that comes with a drive, anyway. If you get a lightscribe, look for some 'ware online if you need them.

4. rruss thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspected that any old drive would work (with the exception of lightscribe drivers), but I have a paranoia that companies who want to preserve their artificially high margins might put hooks in the code that say... "Don't work if not a drive on this list."

I think most of the Mac hardware is a cut above and certainly worth a higher price... but when it comes to memory, HDDs, and optical drives... they're not doing anything different, so I'm not anxious to pay extra.

Thanks!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I hate to break it to you, but Apple doesn't make their own hardware. Or even truly design it. :eek: ;) They hand off a spec sheet to an ODM at best, and use commodity parts (no changes at all) everywhere else.

About the only thing they actually have as a truly custom manufactured part (Mac Pro), is the case, keyboard, and some cabling (power) from what I can tell.
    Slight modifications on other parts, such as larger ROM's for the EFI firmware.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Most will work fine and are supported by all the internal applications, such as disk utility, iDVD, iTunes and so further. It hasn't really been an issue since Panther.

Check www.macsales.com and buy it from there if you want to be 100% sure.

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

The following is the only post you need to read (sickmacdock's)... $26 for a replacement (better than that crap sony that was included). I'd buy two.

I was going to suggest the pioneer 111D (included with a few of the 2006 Mac Pros), but it looks like sickmacdock found a better one.

SATA is cool too, but unnecessary and VERY tough to install. Don't waste money/time, buy newegg. They're super cheap, fast, and highly responsive to phone calls and emails.

8. n8mac macrumors 6502

Those prices are pretty good :)
    I need a superdrive for my quicksilver powermac G4. Will these drives mentioned support OS booting from a CD/DVD?

9. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

If it helps, I have a Pioneer DVR-115D installed in my G4 Digital Audio, and it can boot from OS X and OS 9 install disks (DVDs and CDs).

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

The pioneer 111D does, but I'm about 99% sure the 116 would as well.

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I know a Pioneer 112 or 116 will work in a Power Mac.

I just happen to have a LG - GH22NP20 that I just pulled from a 3.0g PC and stuck it into my G4 PM. It plays a commercial DVD okay and System Profile recognizes it but I get this:

Attached Files:

• pro.jpg
      pro.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  12. cube macrumors G5

13. watsound macrumors newbie

Pioneer Rules

Thanks for the info

8 months later, and was having the same problem with the LG, returned it and got the Pioneer working right away