Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Massnegro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
Hi I know this has been covered before but I just want to check on updated opinions...

After a DVD burner for the second bay of my Dual 1.25 that will work out of the box...

Kind Regards

Andy

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California
Pioneer DVR-1xx drives work well with G4s, and their firmware can be updated with DVRFlash.
My G4 Digital Audio has a DVR-115 installed and it worked out of the box.
If you are running an older OS version you might need Patchburn.

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
You'll need to take the moulded fascia off the front of the moveable disc tray - it just pops off, by flexing the clips on the back of the fascia, on the UNDERSIDE of the disc tray.

And if you've REALLY got a DVR-112BK without the "D" (as opposed to a DVR-112DBK - with the "D") then it'll write to caddy-less DVD-RAM disks too - can be useful at times - like a giant floppy disk (if you're old enough to remember those!)

Massnegro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
You'll need to take the moulded fascia off the front of the moveable disc tray - it just pops off, by flexing the clips on the back of the fascia, on the UNDERSIDE of the disc tray.

And if you've REALLY got a DVR-112BK without the "D" (as opposed to a DVR-112DBK - with the "D") then it'll write to caddy-less DVD-RAM disks too - can be useful at times - like a giant floppy disk (if you're old enough to remember those!)

I remember floppies, 8-inch ones at that, zips as well and one thingy a bit like a zip that I can't even recall the name of now, yep, it's definitely an 112BK.. So, will it read DVD Ram Discs as we use them in our home TV DVD recorder.

Regards

Andy

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California
My DVR-115 was originally a 115D, but I crossflashed it with 115 firmware to get DVD-RAM support.
I would suggest Maxell 12x DVD-RAM media if possible. I used a 5x Maxell disk and the write speed, with 5x selected, was about 3MB/sec. From what I have read, the slowness was from verification of the data as it was being written. Also my one piece of DVD-RAM media wore out after a few months. It seems I should have formatted it as UDF instead of HFS+.
Here is a list of supported media for DVR-112 series. Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.